Wrestle Kingdom

January 4, 2020

It was late on Saturday night. It was Liv's last day in Orlando before she flew out for RAW in the morning. Her and Jake spent as much time together as the could before she had to go.

"I had a great time today, babe", Liv said.
"Yeah, I did too", Jake replied. "I always love spending time with my princess"
"Stop, You'll make me blush."
"Sorry, I just love being with you"
"Me too, baby"
"I have an idea. You know how you've never watched Japanese wrestling?"
"Yeah?"
"How about we watch Wrestle Kingdom together tonight? It's like Japanese WrestleMania."
"Sounds great! I love that idea!"
"Awesome!"

The young couple cuddles up on their couch to watch the show live.

"So, normally it's just a one day thing, but this year they decided to try a 2 day thing, so I think we're watching the second day", Jake said.
"What's does that mean?", Liv replied.
"I think it's just means we missed a few matches but the main events are on tonight", he replied.

They watched the show for a few hours. They saw the Heavyweight Tag title match, the NEVER Openweight title match, and the Six Man Tag title match.

Kevin Kelly: "Up next, New Japan's hottest new commodity takes on a legend of the business for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger announced over 8 months ago that he would have his final match here in the Tokyo Dome."

"I know Jushin Liger!", Liv said. "He had a match with Tyler Breeze in NXT"
"He's a true legend. Not just Japanese wrestling, but all wrestling in general.", Jake replied. "He's held that Junior Heavyweight title more than anyone else in history. Last I heard, he was facing Hiromu Takahashi but Kevin said 'hottest new commodity' so I have no idea".

Kevin Kelly: Let's take a quick look at his opponent tonight. He calls himself 'The Anarchist', and he's really lived up to that name since joining New Japan during the Nest of the Super Juniors Tournament. He made it to the final four before being eliminated by the man he faced last night in the Tokyo Dome for the title that's he's putting on the line tonight, against Jushin Thunder Liger. Let's take a quick look back at some of the action from last night."

"The Anarchist? Doesn't that nickname sound familiar?", Liv asked.
"Well, it used to be Eddie's nickname when we were teaming together", Jake replied.
"You don't think it's him do you?"

Their thoughts were confirmed when a video package played showing the highlights of one, Eddie Smoke's meteoric rise to the top of New Japan's junior division. It showed his debut at the Super Juniors tournament, where he beat 5 men and was tied in points with Takahashi. It showed his Junior Tag Team Championship victory with Liger at Domination and their eventual loss of those titles a few months later. The package ended with highlights of the Junior Heavyweight title match at Wrestle Kingdom night 1, where Eddie hit The Dynamite Plunger on Takahashi to retain his title.

"Wow.", Jake said. "I can't believe he's in Japan."
"And it looks like he's been pretty successful, too", Liv added.
"Yeah. He always talked about wanting to work for New Japan but I never thought he'd be there this quickly."
"Are you okay?", Liv asked.
"What do you mean?", Jake responded.
"Well, you haven't seen or spoken to your best friend in nearly a year and you find out he's wrestling on Wrestle Kingdom because you're watching the show. That must bring up some sort of emotion."
"I guess, so. I'm mostly just in shock. I didn't expect this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him. But I would have loved to have been their with him."

Liv rubbed Jake's shoulders to try and comfort him but he barely noticed because he was too focused on the screen. The ring announcer had just finished the introductions and the match was about to begin.