the boulder fic

Ok so basically Josh Katz from Badflower did not have enough money to afford Spotify premium. He was very sad and annoyed with all of the advertisements he got. It felt like he didn't have any actual music ever playing, at all times it was only ad after ad.

He got sick and tired of this and decided he would do absolutely anything to get a subscription. That day seemed to be his lucky day, as well as for a fan of his.

Josh was sulking back to his tour bus, starting up Spotify to hopefully enjoy some tunes. Maddie saw him walking towards the bus as she was leaving the local McDonalds.

"Hey, Josh!"

Josh looked over as Maddie walked his way, taking out his headphones.

"I'm Maddie, nice to meet you. You guys' music is great."

"Oh, thanks. Nice to meet you."

"Do you mind a picture?"

Josh stood beside her as she snapped the photo. She noticed he looked a little down.

"I don't mean to invade your personal life, but you seem a little sad. Something wrong?"

"It's whatever, I just can't pay for Spotify premium and I'm tired of all the ads."

Maddie saw her chance to cheer him up and get something out of it as well.

"Hey, I'll make you a deal. I actually have Spotify premium and I'll write down my info so you can use it as well."

"Seriously? That'd be awesome."

"Yeah, for real. There's just one more thing."

"What is it?" he asked.

Maddie turned around and picked up a relatively large rock from a decorative plant display.

"Please throw this at my head with all the force you have."

Josh knew the outcome wouldn't be good, but he was desperate at that point. He nodded in agreement as Maddie wrote down her Spotify login on a slip of paper, handing it to him.

"Thanks so much. Are you ready for this thing?" he asked, holding up the rock.

Maddie took a few steps back and turned around, facing the other way.

"Yup, as hard as you can. Aim for the skull."

Josh almost hesitated but threw the boulder at Maddie's head, instantly cracking her skull and causing enough brain trauma to end her life. Maddie would be delighted to know he actually came through with her request, but she couldn't know because she was dead.

Josh slipped the piece of paper inside his pocket and got in the bus. Nobody in the bus had witnessed what happened.

"Josh, you look pretty cheery. What's happened?" Joey asked.

"Nothing much, just happy today."

His manager started the bus and drove away from the scene as Josh entered Maddie's information into Spotify.

He got logged in instantly and played some music, and for the first time, he didn't have to deal with advertisements. He smiled to himself as a song from a screamo rap band called Lil Peezy played on full blast.

The next day, he awoke in his bed feeling refreshed. Josh always liked to start his day off right with some morning tunes. He felt today would be much better because of the lack of ads on Spotify.

Turning on the app, a message popped up as soon as it opened. It said that Maddie's free Spotify premium trial had ended at the end of yesterday.

Josh fell to his knees and sobbed, jumping out of his window into a spiky plant in his yard. He died.

the end