Man's Search for Meaning

Book: Frankl, Viktor E. Man's Search for Meaning (3rd Ed.) New York:  Simon & Schuster, Inc. (1984).

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms – to choose one's attitudes in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way." Viktor Frankl

As I settled in my second row seat next to the window and watched a few other students trickle in.  I looked out the window, waiting for the soccer players to stream onto the field. 

"What did you think of it?" Sharon asked, breaking my trance.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"The book – Man's Search for Meaning – what did you think?"

I glanced at my watch, 9:25.  We had a few minutes before class would begin.  Sharon settled into the desk next to mine.  The young man who'd sat in it before was no longer in the class, so it was open. 

"I liked it.  Well, sort of.  It was tough to read. Intense.  But on the whole, I think it helps to answer the 'why are we here' question."  I was glad she sat next to me.  I appreciated the friendly gesture.

"Yeah, I know what you mean.  I wasn't sure I'd get through it.  I had to stop a couple of times..." 

"Totally," I answered.  Adam walked in and waved toward Sharon he made his way to the row behind us.  Instead of his regular seat in the middle of the row, he sat behind Sharon.  "Hey ladies, ready for today's inquisition?"

"Not sure I'm ever ready, but I guess we'll roll with it!" Sharon responded as Dr. Soren walked in.  Today, he wore a darker blue cardigan with big gold buttons, over a dark green paisley-printed dress shirt with a wide collar, and the same pair of polyester brown pants.  Or did he have a whole closet full of brown polyester pants? The ensemble was clearly outdated.  Even though he wore a wedding ring, it was hard to imagine any wife letting her husband out of the house dressed like that.

"Who'd like to start today?" Dr. Soren asked.

I raised my hand.  Today, I wanted to start. I thought I'd written an excellent paper, and felt ready to tackle Doc's questions.

"Yes, Amanda – please.  Tell us – what did you find most interesting, or meaningful about this story?"

"What seemed most profound to me was Frankl's idea that without a true path of one's own choosing, or not knowing what one wishes to do, a person is stuck. Someone who doesn't abide by a strong sense of personal meaning or vision winds up living a programmed life.  I like the notion that everyone has a unique vocation or mission in life.  When he states that our unique vocation or mission "demands fulfillment", it seems as though he's genuinely talking about a 'calling' – a force that is pulling us toward it, if only we will listen."

"What about that intrigues you?"

"The idea that something out there is waiting for me to fulfill it – that there is a unique vocation, calling... whatever we call it - that is mine, all mine. When I find it, I will know it and it will know me.  Like the notion of soul mates destined to find each other regardless of time and space. Things may come between them, but in time, soul mates will find each other. It's romantic, it's magical – I never thought of finding a purpose and vocation in life as being similar to finding true love!"

"Ah, well then let me recite to you a quote from Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet:

"... When you work you fulfill a part of the earth's furthest dream, assigned to you when that dream was born, and in keeping yourself with labor, you are in truth loving life, and to love life through labor is to be intimate with life's inmost secret..."