Mirror, Mirror

And since you know you cannot see yourself, so well as by reflection, I, your glass,will modestly discover to yourself,that of yourself which you yet know not of.
William Shakespeare

I took a final look in the mirror.  It had been a long time since I'd worn a formal.  The elegant black gown had an Audrey Hepburn flair, and in a way, I felt a little like the famous actress.  Delicate silk lace was layered over a polyester slip, and the tightly fit, bias cut dress sported a square neckline.

     "It fits you like a glove," the sales lady has said when I showed her how it looked on, as she had insisted. Even though she probably had to say that, I happened to agree.  It was rare that something ever fit this right on me.  I was surprised when she brought me a size six.  Last time I'd bought a suit, what, three years ago? It has been a size ten.  "That'll be sixty-three sixty," the sales lady said as she rang up the purchase.

"What?  I thought..."

"This is your lucky day, hon.  Look over yonder," as she pointed to the rack from which she had pulled the dress.  Somehow I'd missed the fifty percent off sign.  Of course, she had been more than happy to help me spend the money I'd "saved" on a pair of black heels also covered in a delicate lace that were a near identical match to the dress.  The black evening bag she'd found to complete the ensemble was just big enough to hold lipstick, money, and cell phone.  I'd gotten the whole ensemble for just a little over one hundred dollars.

"You look beautiful," mom said as she came in to admire me. "I always liked your hair up, you have such a regal neck. Kind of like..."

"Gina?" I asked, finishing the sentence.

"Yes.  And your father.  The skinny, elegant genes come from him."

"And the crazy ones too?" I asked with a smile.

"I wouldn't say crazy.  High strung.  Temperamental, maybe.  Oh sweetie.  Look at you!  I can't believe you're forty-one.  You look like a girl on her way to the prom!"  My straight brown hair, which was normally in a ponytail, looked grown up in French Twist.  The emerald-cut amethyst earrings framed by little CZ's added just enough sparkle to highlight my cheeks.  The woman reflected at me through the mirror did indeed look younger than her years.  What a difference love, fresh air, and exercise had made.  For the first time in a long time, the face reflected back at me seemed pretty. 

"Oh – what time is it?" I asked, conscious that time was ticking.  "I need to leave here by six thirty.  The ball starts at eight, but I need to get there by seven to talk to people."

"It's a little after six," mom answered, as she glanced at her watch.  "Will you get to stay and dance at all?  You look so lovely, I'd hate to think it's going to be all work and no play."

"I don't know, mom.  I mean, most folks go to these things with dates.  I'm going and leaving solo."

"Yeah, yeah.  Okay, well at least let me get a picture of you," she said, as she pulled out her ancient cell phone.  "Here mom, take a couple with mine," I asked.  Even though my phone was three years old and outdated by current standards, it was newer than hers.

After who knows how many pictures, including some mother daughter selfies, she handed me my phone and said, "Okay, time to.  It's six twenty.  I'd hate for your carriage to turn into a pumpkin."  I gave her a quick kiss on the way out, and then wiped the cinnamon-brown lipstick off her face. "Don't worry, I'll be home before midnight," I said, as she walked me to the car.

"I hope not," she answered.  "I hope meet wonderful people and have a fun time.  You deserve it."

The county hospital was half an hour drive from mom's house out in the country, on a stretch of highway between Burnington the county seat's bigger town of fifteen thousand people, Granite Mountain.  The expansive hospital had been built six years ago, to the surprise of many.  Our small town world had been elevated to city status with this modern, high tech hospital that was part of a larger hospital system in Austin.  Some seriously affluent folks, most of whom had made their fortunes in Austin's technology boom, had backed this project.  Even though Burnington hadn't changed much over the years, Granite Mountain just twenty miles south had expanded considerably thanks to its location on the lake and nearish proximity to Austin.