Chapter 3

Dear Yukio,

I don't know if you care, but I'm telling you about my day. Today, I got a 150% on a test due to getting every question - including bonus questions - right! I'm super excited, and I know if you had seen it, you'd be proud... or I hope so at least. There was a boy in my class who was angry at me for getting a better grade. I know it sounds stupid, but it wasn't. I decided not to fight him, and it turned out he had big ambitions, and saw me as a possible threat to them. We talked it out, and, while we still argue, it's more friendly banter than anything.

Yukio, I'm sorry about dad, but I can't even remember the incident anymore. I think the trauma has blocked it out of my head.

I wish I could do something to fix our bond.

Your big brother,

Rin Okumura

-----------

Several weeks later, the class found themselves in a summoning class shortly before their Exwire boot camp. The class itself went quite well. Shiemi summoned a Greenman - who she called Nee, and Izumo summoned two white fire wolves. They were warned against letting their negative emotions get the better of them, because then the Demons would turn on them if they thought the human weaker than themselves. The real trouble happened after class.

"Hey! Miss Kamiki!" Shiemi shouted, but Izumo kept walking, choosing to ignore her, "Hey Wait up!" Shiemi kept trying to get the other girl's attention, but Izumo continued to walk as Shiemi ran after her.

Eventually Izumo turned around angrily, "Why are you following me around? You can summon a familiar, big deal. You think that makes you special now?"

Rin grit his teeth, already having guessed what Shiemi had been doing. Shiemi wanted friends, and Izumo was not going to treat her like one.

"What's wrong, Okumura?" Bon teased, "Angry about how Izumo's treating your girlfriend?"

"She's not my girlfriend, but she's my friend, and, knowing her, she wants more friends." Rin explained angrily, "Izumo isn't going to be a good friend to her, and will probably make Shiemi carry her bag or something. Shiemi will be too innocent to see through the lie, and carry the bag anyway."

"Yeah right." Bon scoffed, "That's a pretty detailed prediction. No way that'll happen."

"Would you please be my friend?" Shiemi asked after a long period of stammering, "I've never had any friends before." There was a shocked silence. Rin was glaring daggers at Izumo.

"Hmmm... Alright then..." Izumo said with a false smile, "We'll be friends from now on." She plopped her heavy bag into Shiemi's arms, "And friends help each other, so here, carry this. I get tired from carrying it because I'm not very strong."

"Sure!" Shiemi smiled brightly, and held the bag.

"That was..." Koneko stared at Rin.

"Creepy." Shima shivered. Bon whacked him on the back of the head.

"I'm good at reading people." Rin was still glaring at the trio of girls as he said those words.

-----------

"So... why are you having them come to this dorm?" Rin frowned.

"You're the only one living in it, so it doesn't matter if you students make a ruckus." Mephisto grinned, "Oh, here they come!" Mephisto then smirked at the surprised class before saying, "Eins!"

"Don't you dare disappear on me!" Rin growled.

"Zwei!" Mephisto laughed.

"Mephisto..." The younger demon warned.