Chapter 1

The sun had relinguished, turned the day into the night and given the space for the shimmer of the moonlight. Belle French walked around the garden of the castle, characteristically book on her armpit, and watched the domains with a smile on her face. How strange...there had been a time, when she had considered this place as her prison, something to escape from, an obstacle to win. But eventually, it turned out to be, besides their Paris loft, the only place, that she was able to call a home.

Despite the darkness of the night she felt very safe, surrounded by the roses. She picked one and momentarily let the memories flood over her. This flower had always had the great importance in her life. In her childhood and youth it had symbolized the memory of her mother who had, despite her passing, lived among them because of her father's stories. By many magical incidents she had got to find out the truth about her mother's fate, been able to move on and look at the future with the bright mind. The rose also had a different kind of story: by it, she had been taken into the abyss, that had developed into the adventure of her life. Moreover, it had helped her to find and experience true love - also outside the book pages.

The neigh of her horse from the stall returned her to reality and she instantly became vary by its caution: something was definitely wrong. She ran to him and slightly stroked his mane. "What's the matter, Filip? What do you hear?"

In that moment she sensed it as well: nearly soundless rustle among the trees. While recovering from her shock she took the fork as her protection and peered frantically in the darkness.

Before she could say a word, she heard the monotonous and sore voice whispering: "What book might we be reading today, Belle? I am sorry I have to ask...if I had been more accomplished on that matter, perhaps you would've warmed up to me more easily."

The girl bit her lip for the inequality of the situation: this stranger knew her name, but she did not know his. She felt the restlessness awaking in her, but she would not give this person the satisfaction to see her uncertainty. "What is this about? What do you want from me?"

This stranger laughed huskily and straightened himself at his full length. "I wanted many things from you, Belle", he stated, stretching the words - enjoying them - and came into the light. "And now I've come to get what is mine."

Belle's eyes widened with shock when he recognized the man she had thought to be far away past. "Gaston! You...are alive? Impossible!"

"Well.." he shrugged and came slowly closer to her, "after the beasts and talking teacups returning to the land of living should feel like nothing."

Unable to say a word, she measured the man with her eyes. Once upon a time, Gaston had had an obsession for her and he had wanted to marry her, no matter what the cost. Those familiar and handsome features that had gotten all of the village girls' - Belle herself excluded - heads spin, were visible, but they had buried underneath the exhaustion and bitterness. His hair were overlong and his narrow and pale face was covered in a dense and messy beard. His clothes, that had always been so elegant, were now ragged and dirty.

Postponing the inevitable, Belle fought to get her voice back and stuttered: "But...you fell. Everyone thinks you're dead!"

Gaston nodded slowly and the insane, almost luscious glow lightened his eyes. "Yes, yes, indeed. I'm just full of surprises. It was the easiest to let everyone believe I did. When I fell from that cursed bridge, I lay there, drifting away, barely even a human, alone, torn, unable to move - but alive, nevertheless. While I gathered my strength, I had time to develop the plan for my return. Slowly, but with certainty, I crawled towards the mountains and hid there without nutrition, out of sight, recovering little by little. All I could think about was this moment, the feeling that would come along with it. My perfectly polished scheme."

He came closer to Belle, almost a hungry look in his eyes, and pushed his face near hers. "I would lie, if I told you it did not hurt to see you with other man. But those days are behind us now. Playing hard to get was intriguing for a while, but it does not carry you far. Admit the truth, Belle. We both know you do not really love him. You belong to me."

The anger flamed in the girl's heart and conquered her fear and insecurity. She lifted her chin, and looked straight into his eyes, saying in a low voice: "We lived in that little village for years, and you might think you know me. But the truth is..." She inhaled and briefly enjoyed the bewilderment on Gaston's face. "You don't know me at all. I am not the same innocent girl I once was. And for that, partly, I have you to thank for." A confidence grew in her with every word as she stared at the man triumphantly. "You can talk about love all you want, but you have no idea what it is. He is not a beast, he never was. It might have taken me a moment to realize my feelings for him, but I won't hesitate anymore. For I carry his ring, and by the Angels, I swear I am never gonna be yours!"

Gaston frowned when he grabbed the girls arm and twisted it forcefully to see the diamond on her finger. Gradually, his face distorted into the deep, hatred-portraying mask, and he pushed her to the ground. "You deceitful snake!"

A painful groan escaped Belle's lips while her hand hit the edge of the fountain, and she watched her opponent with fire dancing in her eyes, ready to defend herself. But, oddly, it wasn't necessary: after the sudden gust of rage his face turned strangely calm, almost gentle. Unfortunately, it did not bring very much comfort: Gaston was never more terrifying than while being favorable.

"Wait..." he mumbled slowly, like he was talking to himself, and bend over her. "It's no use to be angry at you. That distortion of a human took everything I cared about - my reputation, my unbelievable appearance, and my greatest prize! It's only fair that I return him a favor, isn't it?"

Horror filled Belle's throat and she suddenly felt freezing cold. Trying to play time and wonder the way to get the message to the castle, she asked: "What are you going to do?"

His piercing ice-blue eyes flashed and he smiled cunningly. "Your beloved will soon start to wonder where you are. When I have left you to the wolves he has no choice but to come after me. And then I end him and all his loved ones."

Belle gulped dryly, tried to control her trembling body and softened her voice, pleading him. "Do you hear what you're saying right now? This is about human lives. Are you truly ready to cross that kind of a sacred line for something like this?"

An amused chuckle welled from Gaston's chest. "You seem to forget that I have been at war. And I have killed people for more minor reasons. It only makes me see things more clearly."

Then she gave up all her efforts of persuasions and chose the more direct approach. "You are sick. Obsessed. Why did you want me so much, anyway? We both know I would have never become the bride you truly desire."

Gaston shook his head and touched her cheek lightly. "You'd be amazed to know how powerful master time can be. Or maybe you already do." For a brief moment, he gazed at her like she was a souvenir and looked like he was sorry for his actions. "One way or another, I always win."

Without giving her time to answer or minding her efforts to set free, he had grabbed her to his arms, fetched his horse and lifted them both on horseback. She managed to see the last glimpse of her home before she felt the sharp sting on her neck, the world became misty in her eyes and she drifted into the darkness.