Chapter 7

Wind quivered in girl's hair, when they raced ahead without exhaustion. Riding had always been her way to clear her mind, even though she couldn't exactly explain why. Something about the horse's gallop was extremely calming and certain. For her, Filip was more than just a steed. It was a wise animal, who seemed to sense the moods of her rider better than herself, and this day wasn't an exception: he neighed quietly, like his intention was to comfort.

Soon they arrived at the cemetery's gloomy and rusty gate, that was decorated with vines and white roses. Thumb caused by Belle's descent seemed to be the morning's first sign of life in this area, and therefore sounded louder than it actually was. Filip snorted anxiously while sensing the presence of departed and started automatically back off, but Belle grasped him from reins and patted him soothingly. Words weren't needed, because Belle's smile revealed him her thanks and promise to return soon. Any other steed would've probably needed harness, but Belle trusted his loyalty and knew he wouldn't go anywhere. There was both-sided trust between them. Settled down, he showed Belle with his muzzle and moved a little farther to enjoy of grass, his well-earned meal.

Belle found LeFou bent in front of one grave, completely focused, like knelt for the prayer. After hearing the rustle by girl's steps he hastily stood up and gazed around on the alert. Embarrassment and shame were like carved into his face like he had got caught of doing something forbidden.

"There's nothing wrong with grief, LeFou."

The boy's brows wrinkled when he recognized her calm voice and he relaxed a bit. "Belle, is that you?"

Belle nodded and stepped forward, smiling. "It's me. Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. Stanley told me you had left early and I thought I could find you here."

Silence surrounded them clear and heavy and made Belle nod sensibly. "Anyway, I...just wanted to make sure you're okay. Everyone is arranging the anniversary party just now. Take all the time you need and join us whenever you're ready. Okay?"

She turned to leave and had proceeded for a few steps, when timid and strained voice called her back. "Wait! Could you, by any chance... stay with me for a while?"

Uncertainty and apology reflected on his face like he had regretted his question. "It would be nice to spend a moment with someone, who knew...him."

His words made Belle hesitate, since she wasn't sure if she was able to control her emotions appropriately enough. But this was about LeFou's grief and easing it, so eventually she nodded with the smile on her lips. "Sure."

They stood there for a moment, side by side, in a complete silence and fulfilling it wasn't necessary for either of them. Belle didn't know what she felt while watching the name carved in the stone, the name that had earlier greatly startled her. Now that her guilt was a little abated, the other kind of feeling radiated on her chest. Was it shock? Fear? Hate? Even satisfaction? Nothing seemed to fit. All she knew was that the numbers in the stone highlighted the fact how upsettingly short the life of the man lying on this grave ended up to be. No one's life shouldn't have ended so abruptly.

After a while she glanced at LeFou and expected him to say something, but he just stared at the grave as hypnotized. It was sadly bare sight: the plants sprawled around it and its only rift was the orchid that the boy had brought with him.

After the curse Belle had taken teaching him to read as a matter of her heart. This was a prolonged project (even the headmaster had once upon a time given up with it), that required some sweat and tears. Nevertheless, LeFou had always arrived at their meetings with a smile on his face and interested. Now he read fluently, a few quaint words excluded, and gladly spent time in the library. Against all odds he had even become interested in Romeo and Juliet and they often analyzed its characters while Adam rolled his eyes good-heartedly.