Chapter 40 - Sea Rose

BRIAN

My life has taken a new direction with everything that's been happening. I'm not only working hard to keep operating the fairgrounds, but also because it's my legacy for my daughter. I can't deny that it has been a strange path of acceptance, mostly on my side. Deirdre is in my eyes the perfect little child with a love for music, but being confronted with the idea of being a father isn't easy. In between all the planning, I've been trying my best to get to know this girl. She's fond of me, no doubt there in the way her face brightens when she sees me and how she clings to my neck, and I'm beginning to fall for it.

Today, I've invited my friends to accompany us during the private opening of the new facilities and of course, my little one and Piper are here too. As we walk to the area that we have shielded from prying eyes with plywood, Deirdre holds my hand and a feeling that I believe must be pride for her and everything we have achieved around here fills my heart. My mom walks together with Piper and Charlie, who now is able to move around and stand for longer periods. He's been brave and daring through his recovery period and even started supervising the cooks for the food court.

The food court has been a success so far and that's only with two restaurants operating out of the four. We hope to add the Café in the next days and today, Lewis starts the operations of Serendipity. Yesterday, he finished training the staff on everything ranging to the names of the pastries, the ingredients and also how to pack them for transport.

Jaden waits for us together with Jess by the new facilities. He's the only one who's seen what awaits behind the wood and has been a great support in realizing the plans. I can always count on his rude and sincere opinion, which keeps me down to earth. Once we are all at the site, I lift Deirdre and hold her on my hip while addressing the group.

"I want to thank you all for being here. You are all my family, even the ones who recently joined it," I look at Zoe and Vivian, then at my daughter. "Your ideas and your support, have kept me sane and have kept this place operating. I'm proud to share that I recently had to hire extra people, something we haven't been able to do in years. The area behind here is the combined vision of Jaden and Ximena. Welcome to Sea Rose Park," I open the gate and invite everybody in.

The look on everyone's faces gives me so much satisfaction. A large arbor that eventually will be covered by climbing plants will welcome visitors and Jaden made one of his beautiful signs with the name of the park. The concrete path forks out in different directions, and Michael and Luke have eager faces while looking at the playground next to one of them.

"Why don't you two give it a go? I think Deirdre will love it too."

The boys look at Lewis for permission and he nods. I place my daughter on her feet and she runs together with the boys towards the playground.

"Brian... This place turned out like a dream. It's so beautiful!" Ximena says.

The garden beds are slightly bare as we just finished planting everything, but when it all grows they will be filled with grasses and sea roses. The paths wind through areas with benches made of hardwood to stand the saline breeze. We've set as many picnic tables and playgrounds as we could afford, and in the middle of the park stands a large white gazebo, which can be used to hold a wedding or a small concert.

Our guests spread out throughout the park admiring the beauty and simplicity of it. We've made sure there's something for everyone, whether you want a place to rest your feet, a quiet area to enjoy a snack or a safe place to watch your children play.

"Your dad would have been so proud of you," my mom locks her arm with mine.

"He would have loved it. This park has everything he liked; history, tradition and classic design. I need to show you something," I pull her softly to walk with me.