The Assignment

As Ciara slipped on her old clothes, she felt the material cling to her damp skin. Her hair made the back of her shirt wet, leaving droplets on her back, making it stick to her even more closely. She left the room promptly after Kyran said he'd make the phone call, and got into his shower. Ciara always enjoyed hot showers, but unfortunately Kyran's shower had turned out to be colder than she would have preferred. She rubbed her hair with the towel, shoved on her denim shorts and graphic tee, and left the bathroom to see if Kyran had finished. He should have been though - surely thirty minutes whilst she had been in the shower (and drying herself) would have been enough time.

"Kyran?" Ciara called out. "Have you finished the phone call?"

"In here," came a quick reply from Kyran.

Ciara followed the sound of his voice into the living room, where Kyran sat playing with Muffin. Although Ciara was in the room while Muffin was awake, the cat was far too distracted by the devilish evil of a wind up mouse to hiss at her. Kyran twisted the pin on the mouse and then let go, the toy whizzing around the room until Muffin caught it, returning it to Kyran as if an obedient retriever instead of a dainty black cat.

"You know," Ciara said as she sat down on the sofa next to Kyran. "I could do with some new clothes."

Kyran looked up at her, sniffed the air around her and set the toy down for Muffin again. She smelled of shampoo and coconut, with a mask of already worn clothing. "You could. The shower was kind of pointless, putting dirty clothes back on again."

"You could have offered to wash them for me," she put, bluntly.

"I know I have a washing machine, but I don't know how to load it."

"Take me back to my old house where I lived with Brendan to get my clothes, and I'll show you how to put a lot of washing on," she teased.

"I have a better idea," Kyran offered.

"Uhuh, and what's that?"

"I take you out clothes shopping." He set the toy back down for Muffin again.

Ciara waited a minute, mulling over the possibilities of what Kyran could do whilst out shopping. She may have had some trust for Kyran, after all he'd only tried to kill her once in the last few days and stabbed her boyfriend. What would he do? Crash the car on purpose? Go down an alleyway known for gangs that are known for stabbing? The possibilities seemed endless, however the prospect of being taken clothes shopping proved far too much for Ciara.

"Depends." Ciara weighed up the catches that may come from clothes shopping with Kyran. "a) What are my limits?, b) Is there any illegal activity happening?, c) Do I get to choose my own clothes?"

"a) There are no limits, at all. No money budgets, no limit to how many you can buy, as long as you can fit them in the clothes dresser you pick out. b), Not if you count using a charm as illegal, and c) You do. However, I have to pick out one item out of every ten you choose for yourself for you to wear."

"Deal," Ciara snapped the catches up instantly. "But what is a 'charm'?"

Kyran sighed, leaning back into the sofa. "Pretty much a mind trick. I'm going to make the cashier think we've paid for the clothes, when in reality we've not paid a single penny."

"Is that how you have so many expensive items in your apartment?" Ciara questioned. "And isn't that morally wrong?"

"Boy, do you ask a lot of questions," Kyran huffed. "Yes it is, and yes, it probably is morally wrong, but you get free stuff." he shrugged.

"But I get everything and anything I want?"

"Yes."

"Then," - Ciara shrugged smugly. - "You have yourself a deal."