Chapter 4- Wound Up

After the trip to the library with Darcy, my mood had taken a turn for the worse. She remained silent for the rest of our time together, and as soon as my books were in my locker, she bolted without a word.

By the time I got back to class, Darcy was sitting next to a copper-haired boy in the back of the room. He had an arm casually slung over her shoulder and she kept leaning in to whisper in his ear. Was that her boyfriend? They seemed intimate enough, but for some reason, I couldn't picture Darcy with a boyfriend. She seemed almost too unreal to be susceptible to something as mundane as a regular relationship. I could imagine her having torrid affairs around the globe, leaving broken hearts in her wake, but I couldn't picture her in a regular, high school relationship.

The boy caught me staring at them and winked at me, a sleazy smile spreading over his face. I frowned and looked away hastily, wondering if Darcy noticed that. As I collapsed into one of the empty seats, I heard Darcy laugh, and for some reason, I instantly disliked the copper haired boy.

I found myself feeling slightly wound up as I labored through the first two periods. Third period AP Physics was slightly better, because as soon as I entered, Imani waved me over to her desk. I introduced myself to the teacher, Miss Diaz, who thankfully, didn't make me introduce myself to the class. She handed me a course outline and told me to find a seat. I walked over to Imani and sat down next to her, grinning. I hadn't noticed before, but a few of her braids were dyed a deep blue.

"So what are you here for?" she asked, while pulling out her textbook.

"Huh?"

"Sports prodigy, genius or rich kid?"

"Oh, I'm not that sporty, I think I'm smart, but I'm not a genius, and I'm definitely not a rich kid," I laughed, "what about you? Genius?"

"Apparently. I'm better than average at math, but that doesn't make me a genius. Everyone else could just be dumb." Imani shrugged and cast a pitiful glance around the classroom.

I laughed, "Not so humble genius, then?"

She grinned at me, "So, how has your first day been so far?

I grimaced, and Imani winced.

"That bad, huh? Don't worry, it'll get better. At least we have lunch next. This school may be stuffy but the food is on point."

As if on cue, my stomach rumbled, and I grinned sheepishly. I thought longingly of the breakfast taco I had so hastily given away this morning. The spicy chicken, the crispy lettuce and fresh tomatoes, the mouth-watering salsa... Why on earth did I forsake such perfection?

"Are you friends with Darcy Williams?" Imani interrupted my food daydream. "I saw you guys together during first period. I called out to you, but I guess you didn't hear me."

Friends with Darcy Williams? As if. It would be easier to befriend a lion. Spending just half a period with Darcy was exhausting. I don't think I could handle being around her for a long enough time to become friends with her.

"Oh, no. I'm definitely not friends with Darcy," I replied, reaching into my backpack for my notebook, "Miss Struthers just made her help me get my textbooks from the library."

"Oh, good. I thought you were coaxed over to the dark side," Imani joked and my curiosity piqued.

"So what's the deal with her anyway? She seems a little—"

"Intense? Yeah, she's always been like that. Her parents are incredibly rich and she looks like that, so she thinks she's better than everybody else. The pride is strong with that one."