Part 5

After hours picking and eating cherries, Sean and Leone left to help prepare dinner at Sean's.

Theo and Jamie sent the cherries they'd collected with them and made a slow round through the orchard, passing families and couples. Theo rounded a sprawling-limbed cherry tree and almost smacked into someone. "Sorry—"

Theo looked up and froze. It felt like the wind had been punched out of him. Seriously? Of all the people to bang into, it had to be Jamie's ex?

Charlie stood in a shaft of late afternoon sunlight that made the copper in his hair pop and his eyes sparkle. He hugged a small bucket of cherries, took Jamie in from head to toe, and smiled.

Theo's stomach clenched tightly.

Charlie gave Theo a cursory glance, and focused on Jamie. "Home for the summer, then."

"Until next week," Jamie said.

Theo almost jumped when Jamie's thumb brushed the back of his hand. He glanced down, surprised to see he was white-knuckling Jamie's fingers.

"You should come to my party this weekend." Charlie glanced between them. "Both of you, of course."

A small growl slipped out of Theo's throat and Jamie's lip quirked.

"We might pass, Charlie. Thank you."

How on earth did Jamie stay so level-headed around this fuckwit?

Jamie gently tugged Theo closer, thumb moving in calming circles against the side of his hand.

Charlie's eyes dipped to their linked hands and settled on Theo. "So you were head over heels for him?"

Jesus. Theo had never wanted so badly to punch the grin off someone's face. He hated, hated the thought that Jamie had once laughed with this guy; kissed this guy; held him tight and maybe rubbed soothing circles on the back of his hand...

When Theo choked on an answer, Charlie continued, addressing Jamie. "Did you climb to the tops of the trees for the sweetest cherries?"

Theo blurted, "We haven't finished picking yet." They had. "I'll definitely get the top-most, sweetest cherry."

"Excuse us." Jamie swiftly shuttled Theo towards the boat.

Halfway across the water, Jamie sighed against Theo's hair. "The top-most, sweetest cherry, Theo?"

Theo palmed his head and groaned.