1

"Emmy, Emmy, Emmy.  Look, there it is, the first snowflake!"  Grace bubbled.  She closed her eyes as tight as they would go, and without a sound escaping her, formed the words of her new wish on her little lips.  After a few seconds had passed, she stopped in her tracks.  Popping one eyelid open, she glanced at me. 

"Emmy, make a wish!  If you don't hurry it will go away!"  She closed her eyes and continued her wish. 

So, I closed my eyes lightly, and made a wish.  I wish that everything would be okay. I thought.  For me, Grace, and my dad.  Smiling, I grabbed Grace's little hand and gently squeezed it.

The sound of the door opening made me jump up from the little seat by the kitchen window that we were sitting at and spin around.  My dad was standing a few feet away from doorway with a smile on his face and his arms open.  Grace ran to him and threw herself into his arms, he promptly picked her up and spun her around the world as if we don't live in a tiny apartment, her feet barely missed a few pictures and a bowl filled with cereal.  He set her down and kissed her forehead, then turned to look at me.

"Emerson."  He smiled and held his arms out, without hesitation I walked into them.  "How are my favorite girls?"  He addressed both of us.

"Tired."  I said, Grace yawned backing me up.  "It's almost ten o'clock...you're late, again.  And you missed the first snowflake."  

"I'm sorry, sweetheart.  Things got busy at the station.  Plus, I don't need a wish.  I have everything I need.  But, I'm here now.  Grace, darling, I think it's time you go to sleep."  He picked her up by her hips and threw her over his shoulder, making her giggle.  He took her into her little bedroom to tuck her in.

I decided to clean up the kitchen a bit.  After doing the dishes and cleaning the table, I yawned loudly.  Remembering that I had to wake up early tomorrow morning, I decided to go to bed.  I walked down the hall to my sister's room and cracked the door open just a little bit.

   "Goodnight, dad."  I whispered.  "Goodnight, Grace."  My dad smiled at me sleepily and turned his attention back to Grace, who was now asleep.

   After I brushed me teeth in the small bathroom at the end of the hallway, I walked to my room.  Stripping off my jeans and shirt, I hummed a song I remember hearing on the radio earlier that day and replaced my clothes with pajama pants and a long sleeve shirt.  I pulled my blanket back and laid in bed.  Humming to myself, I closed my eyes, wrapped my blanket around myself, and turned over on my stomach. 

Don't let the nightmares come, I thought.  Not tonight.  Then I drifted into a deep, dark sleep.

When I woke up, I was trembling and covered in sweat.  I sat up in bed and pulled my hair tie out.  Since I was little, i've always had nightmares.  I always thought I would grow out of them, but I guess that was just wishful thinking because they haven't stopped and probably never will.

But, enough of that.  Despite my nightmares and lack of sleep, I am determined to have a nice day.  Grace and I made plans to go Christmas shopping today, which is something we both really enjoy.

I raided my closet for something cute and warm to wear today, and ended up going with a black skirt, tights, warm socks, boots, and a gray, oversized cable knit sweater.  I was fishtail braiding my hair when I heard a knock so quiet on my door I wasn't sure if I imagined it or not.

"Grace?  Is that you?"  I asked, not taking my attention off that task at hand.  She never answered.  I twisted a hairband around the bottom of my braid, then added a little mascara to my eyes and pink lipgloss to my lips before grabbing my purse and leaving my room.