t h r e e

D O Y O U N G

Warm sun. Birds chirping. The faint smell of pollen and freshly cut grass. I open my eyes and I'm greeted with an empty field. I wander around aimlessly for a little while. It feels a bit lonely here by myself, but it's a strangely calming sensation. I sit down in the grass, feeling it brush against my ankles, and close my eyes for what feels like a long time.

"Doyoung! Hey, how are you?" I hear a familiar voice from behind me. Y/n comes up from behind in loose fitting loungewear, bags under her eyes. She sits cross-legged in front of me, sighing happily. "Good to finally get some rest, huh?"

I just nod my head, sensing that she must be exhausted, but why? "What do you do right now? Are you working?"

"I go to ///...I'm ///." She groans in frustration before pausing, probably trying to find a way to reword what she wants to tell me. "I'm a student. I write." She sighs in content.

Ah, she's studying. "Well I'm," I pause, wanting to avoid the high pitched noise as much as possible, "I like to sing?" It comes out as more of a question.

"That's gotta be fun," y/n says with a smile.

As soon as the words come out of her mouth, the field we're in fades away and we're left in a dark blue room. I try to reach my hand out to her, but it's stopped by something. Glass. Running my hand along the pane, it goes all the way around, trapping me inside and keeping me from getting to her. But why would I be kept away from her?

A phantom-looking creature comes up from behind (y/n), looming behind her and watching her, but I don't think she knows it's there. I pound on the glass, yelling for her to look at it. She just watches me, tilting her head slightly before realizing what I'm trying to tell her and whipping her head around. The monster consumes her, the vapor that makes up its body surrounding her, and when it floats off, she's gone.

"Y/n!" I call out, gasping for breath after my eyes shoot open. Whipping my head around, all I see is the empty dorm room, no sign of her. I pull my legs to my chest, catching my breath and trying to distract myself.

Practice today is absolute hell. We need to work on perfecting the choreography for our songs, and I can't seem to do anything right.

"...Three, four, five and six and seven, eight. One—Doyoung!" I trip over my own feet while trying to do a sort of spin jump move, making me fall over.

"Do you honestly believe I did that on purpose?" I sass Haechan, who has been counting off for us, while I get off of the ground.

"Well it's the fifth time you've messed up this choreo. I can't say it's an accident." I glare at him. "Hey, you're just mad that you haven't found your soulmate yet."

"(Y/n) is none of your business," I raise my voice at him.

He rolls his eyes. "She is if she keeps you from doing your job. I bet that's what's gotten into you lately."

"What's gotten into me? What the hell are you talking about?" My voice is at a full-force scream at this point.

"How can you not see how you've been acting since your first dream? You know what, I'm out. I can't take this." Haechan storms out of the practice room, slamming the door on his way out.

I sit back down, putting my head in my hands and sighing heavily. A presence next to me is the only reason I lift my head again. Taeyong.

"Don't let it get to you, Doyoung. You know everyone is stressing with the debut being pushed back another month. Get some rest, you need it." He rubs my back comfortingly and stands up, going back to the other boys who were still practicing.

"Thank you," I whisper, knowing he won't hear me, and step out of the room, quietly clicking the door shut behind me.