The Little Mermaid

Ariel smooths her red hair as she swims to an underwater stone surrounded by luscious emerald seaweed, Flounder only a metre behind her. The note said to be meet here when the sun was directly above the stone. 

Ariel looked up, carefully shielding her eyes from the sun above her. This was the right time and the right place. A school of bright fish swam under and around the rocks just in front of her and disappeared out of few. 

Sometimes Ariel looked up to the surface of the water and wished that she could be there. The ocean was great, and she loved to be free and swim around all day but there were people up there. Up on the land. People she wished to meet and much she wished to do. 

Since she was a baby Ariel had had a fascination with land. She'd collected many things from shipwrecks along the way, her favourite being a metal object with prongs that looked a bit like her father's spear but smaller. She brushed her red locks with it everyday. 

Ariel looked behind her and saw a mermaid swimming towards her. Maybe this was who she was meeting.

"Ariel, I can offer you something." The pretty purple-skinned mermaid with long white flowing hair smiled as she floated beside Ariel, the purple mermaid thumbled with her beige shell necklace tried around her neck with a black satin ribbon. The shell shone brightly in the darker depths of the oceans.  

"Who are you?" Ariels looks up and down the mermaid, she'd never seen a purple mermaid before. 

"I'm Ursula, I want to offer you something that you want the most." She smiled. Her teeth slightly sharpened showing.

"And what is it that I want the most?" Ariel asked slightly concerned. 

"You want to be up there." Ursula gestured to the surface. Ariel glanced up longingly. It's true she did but a greater burden would be left behind if she did leave. She couldn't leave her family below the surface but none of them cared about walking on land, the sand between her toes, oh, how she wished she had legs, and toes.

"How did you know?" Ariel whispered. 

"I know many things." Ursula smiles flicking her pearly purple tail. "I can give you legs." She gestures to Ariel's tail. Ariel looks at her own light green tail pursing her lips together. She really did want legs.

"What do I need to do then?" Ariel questionned. Ursula smiles again. 

"I'll take care of all that sweetie." Ursula looked over Ariel's shoulder. "You don't need to worry about a thing." A small wicked grin creeps across Ursula's face, Ariel gulps, maybe this wasn't a good idea after all. She looks behind her to see Flounder being put into a fishing net, Flounder isn't moving. Before Ariel can react she feels a sharp stab in her neck and the sound of metal locking. A necklace placed around her neck knocks her unconscious, she didn't even realise that Ursula's tail had transformed into long, slimy tentacles as Ariel was tied up in a discareded fishing net. 

 * * *

LATER...

Ariel woke up in a underwater dark cave, a sharp shooting pain down her whole tail. The cave was dark, two mermen watching her from the other end move as she wakes. They inspect her tail. Ariel gathers the few ounces of strength to lift her head and see the carnage of what once was her beautiful green tail. 

Her scales bloody, her tail in two. Completely split in the middle. She let out a scream. The two evil looking mermen cover her mouth stopping her from screaming as Ursula swims in as her beautiful purple mermaid self. 

"I'm giving you what you want." Ursula scoffs as Ariel tries to wriggle free. 

"I wanted legs not a completely ripped and bloody tail." Ariel cries.