a painful return | carol danvers

summary: your girlfriend, Carol, is always returning home from missions bruised and battered. This once, she returns injury-free, which you thought was a miracle, but of course, that just isn't the case. 

warning/s: idk I guess mentions of losing someone you love?

author's note: I have no idea what this is, it's pretty shitty but I also kinda like it too? idk but yeah aha enjoy my gals (and guys, if there are any reading) 

I struggled to pull on my second shoe as I kept my toast balanced between my teeth. I was running extremely late for work because of my stupid alarm and the last thing I needed was to hit the morning traffic. 

As if the world was completely against me, I heard a persistent knocking on my flat door, causing me to roll my eyes. Talk about wrong timing.

I finished yanking on my shoe before stuffing the rest of my toast in my mouth. I realised that was probably a dumb move as I struggled to shout out: "Give me a second!" to whoever was at the door, it instead coming out as a series of muffled noises. 

I headed to the door, managing to swallow my toast as I pulled it open, not bothering to check who it was. You can imagine my surprise when I saw my girlfriend, who had been on a mission for three weeks with no contact allowed whatsoever, stood there with a small smile on her lips. 

"Would you believe me if I said I lost my keys?" she asked, quirking an eyebrow playfully. 

I couldn't help but let out a laugh, relieved to see her looking well. I wasn't sure when she was going to come back - she said it could be a month at the least. When she usually came back from a mission, she was always recovering from some life-threatening injury. But here she was. Perfectly fine. 

"Oh my god, Carol!" I immediately embraced her in a hug, feeling tears prick at my eyes. "You're here!"

She chuckled as she wrapped her arms around my waist, holding me close. I closed my eyes, unable to stop grinning. She was really here. 

"I missed you so much," I said, pulling away, but keeping her hand in mine. I brought her inside our flat and shut the door behind us. "I thought you weren't going to be back for at least another few weeks."

She nodded, stepping forward and using her finger to wipe away a stray tear I didn't even know had fallen. A concerned smile was on her face. "I know, but it ended earlier than planned. Come on, don't cry, darling."

I didn't know what else to do but laugh, using my finger to dry the corners of my eyes. "I'm sorry, I just- wow. You're really here. And you're okay. I mean, you seem okay. Are you okay?"

Her eyes crinkled as she smiled at my question. "I'm okay."

I felt relief spread through me as I nodded, thanking God she was well. I don't think I could have taken it if she had come back to me battered and bruised like usual - it hurt me to see her in so much pain, and I was always afraid I would lose her.