Chapter one

Allen's p.o.v

I sit in my room working on my story for my English assignment. Pouring my creativity into it. Not a worry in the world about it being late. I finish it print it and put it in a binder. I label the binder and put it in my bag. I decided to play some dead rising three until I pass out. When I wake up I check the time. I groggily get up and begin my search for clothes. I pick out a green shirt, black jeans, and the jacket my older brother gifted me before heading off to college. I grab my bag before heading downstairs.

"Allen dear you need to eat." I shrug my mom off me and continue towards the door.

"Your mother is right Al. You need to eat before you leave." I shoot my dad a look. He's always been a hardass expecting nothing less than perfection. I ignore him and grab my car keys. "Allen Reiner." I just wave before getting in my car and driving to school. My parents put me in a mixed species school. Why they did that I'll never understand because the school still separates us demons from everyone else. Including our wingless cookie cutter counter parts devils. The school also lacks accommodations for our sizing. It makes no sense why our half of the school is so much smaller when we are closer in size to dragon born and giants. Our half barely fits the vampires and they are just pushing six feet. Plus it doesn't take into account our wings, tails, or horns which add to our size. My parents insist it's a great school for my siblings and I but I feel like I'm constantly shunned by both sides. I finally reach my class after painstakingly navigating through the narrow halls.

"You're late Allen."

"I was prepared with a late slip. These hallways suck ass when you have students standing at their lockers hunched over chatting when the hallway fits maximum one and a half people width wise."

"Yeah you keep using that excuse yet you seem to be the only one late because of it."

"Not true. Tanner, Sarah, Abbey, Jonas, Tucker, Abraham, Olivia, Frida, Rachel, Michelle-."

"I get it! Sit down please."

"You really don't considering you're far less than half our size and swerve effortlessly under us but yeah sure we'll say that."

"Allen you're already late don't make your detention any worse." I roll my eyes and sit in my seat. Almost immediately the group behind me is already making it their goal to talk about me. The teacher begins her lesson and I ignore the people behind me. Thankfully I'm in my final year so I don't have to worry about dealing with the constant rumors that come with a high school environment. I start putting somethings away so when the bell rings for my next class I'm good to run. I don't mine being late for math but I hate being late for English. The bell finally rings and I rush off.

"Good-morning Allen."

"Morning Ms. I have the assignment ready. It isn't late for once."

"Well I'm proud of your effort and excitement to get this project in on time."

"I exist to write."

"I'm sure there are other things you exist for."

"Not really."

"No girlfriend? No friends?"

"Nope. I don't get along with many people. I'm not very social and that is fine by me. Now if you ask my parents they wont be happy and would prefer I get out there start a relationship, make friends, build a community. I just find it hard to make a community when it seems like most of us hate each-other."

"Do you think maybe you wouldn't have that feeling if you put yourself out there?"

"Maybe what's the point if I'm happy where I am right now?"

"You could be happier potentially? All I'm saying is don't shut everything out because you like how things are now. That could change at the blink of an eye especially with you graduating soon."

"If you happen to be right and I bump into you after high school I'll tell you, you were right. If I'm right then I'll tell you I told you so."

"Fine then. What's your plan after this?"

"I've actually been accepted to a school for creative writing and game development."

"That sounds exciting. Is it in the area?"

"Yup. I'll be staying with my parents until I can afford my own place."

"You've always been my most creative student. I hope this school helps you achieve what you want."

"Thanks." The rest of the class piles in ending our conversation and she begins collecting the assignments. She might be the only one here who doesn't think my dream job and career is a total joke.