II

Chapter 2

My eyes fail to open right away. My hearing has came back fully now, the only sound is the steady beeping from a machine. I can feel again, the soft fabrics of my blanket warm me instantly.

Once my eyes flutter open it is blurred. blinking a few times, I see where I am.

A hospital.

"Hello?" I ask, my voice groggy.

A head of chocolate curls pop out from behind a curtain.

"Jo? Oh my goodness. You are awake!" The man, who looks around my age, smiles greatly. His pink lips shape around his shiny teeth perfectly.

"Who are you?" I ask but his smile is contagious, making me lose my hostile tone.

"Harry Styles. I am volunteer here at the hospital. Oh I should go get a nurse." He rushes out of the room, but soon enters with a woman. She reaches her hand out for me to shake.

"Doctor Lynn. Nice to see you are awake. Do you know who you are?" She cuts straight to the point. I stare for a moment at her features. She's a particularly small woman, with aging features. Her crisp white doctors coat hangs loosely on her bones. Short dark hairs have fallen onto her shoulders, making her look in a rush.

"My name's Josephine Marie Williams."

"Age?"

"Nineteen." Her pen scribbles down onto the paper in her clipboard.

"Do you know where you are or what happened?"

"I am in a hospital because of a car crash."

"What year is it?" She asks.

"2014."

She pauses and looks to the man next to her, Harry. His face falls completely.

"No. It's 2015. You've been in a coma for two months or so. We were about to take you off life support."

"Oh. Where's my parents?"

Harry's face pales, matching Dr. Lynn's.

"Your parents have been gone for years, Josephine. Do remember?" I shake my head, "They were in a car accident last year, 2014. I know this is all hard for you but Harry here has agreed to care for you when you leave. If that is alright with you. We could not reach any family members close enough to take care of you."

"That's very... generous." I look over to Harry, a light pink has settled on the top of his cheeks. His sparkling emerald eyes look everywhere but at me.

This will be interesting.