Archaic

"Good morning handsome," Kirstie smiled groggily when she felt the familiar gentle tug on her hair when Avi toyed with them. She opened an eye to look at the large window of Avi's apartment and saw that it was still early in the morning and the sky hasn't even turned brighter than a jet black canvas.

"Good morning Princess." She heard Avi deep bass voice rumbled into her core and her heart pounded at his presence.

"Did I wake you up?" He asked and stroked her cheek. She slightly shook her head and said: "Nah, it's just me."

"You barely have any sleep Kirst, I think you should..." Before he could go further in shooing her back to sleep, she spoke: "Nope," Kirstie exaggeratedly popped the P.

"But you went to sleep like... two hours ago!" Avi started to protest and she nudged him hard, when he groaned as the air was pushed out of his lungs, she said jokingly: "Probably all the caffeine has got into me. Also, deal with it Avi."

"But..." 

"No but Avi."

"But..."

"I said, no." She scowled and he finally died down. They just laid there with the girl in the boy's warm and protective arms in silence before a small white light that to Avi resembled the sun in the noon shone up next to him. He winced and Kirstie giggled and spoke: "Oh my god! I'm sorry Avi!"

"It's okay." He grinned and when his eyes got used to the light, he saw that it was her phone. He noticed something weird about her phone but decided not to comment about it.

"What are you doing?" He inquired and nuzzled his nose into her heavenly sweet, silky hair.

"Twitter!" She exclaimed like a kid yelled: Pokemon! Which is absolutely cute to Avi.

Avi observed her for a while before he realized she suddenly tensed up. "What's wrong?" He asked immediately like how a protective boyfriend was supposed to be.

"...I almost... died?" She asked and he can felt her body shook beneath his arms. He blinked in question but also scooted closer to the girl to ease her.

"Kirst... I thought you were over it." He spun her around and took her face into his hands. He was extremely worried, the girl a few days ago has acknowledged the fact that she was almost a goner rather easy but now...

"Avi... I didn't remember a thing!" She sat up and ran her fingers through her hair and messed it up. Her face turned pale in fear and confusion. The Bass stood up and wrapped his arms around her again and he sat down then made Kirstie sat on his laps. Avi leaned his head on her shoulder and questioned calmly:

"Alright Kirstie... four by five?"

Silence. Each second passed, his heart rate accelerated more and more.

"Was it... twenty?" She answered cautiously and he breathed out in relief, but also fear because Kirstie was always ontop of the class in Math but now, a simple fourth grade calculation made her pondered for almost ten seconds.

"Eight by nine?" He asked hopefully.

Again, she was silence and when she looked up, he saw the desperate, confusion and fear in her eyes. She whispered and his heart dropped to the floor:

"I don't know."

_________________________________________________

"Kirstie! Kirstie! You okay?" Scott bolted into Avi's bedroom where a scared-to-death Avi was sitting frozen with a solid statue of Kirstin Maldonado on his laps.

"What's wrong Avi?" Esther asked nervously.

"She... she said she couldn't remember a thing." Avi deadpanned and everyone fell silence. Their eyes fixed onto a confused Kirstie. It has been four hours since the time she couldn't remember a simple fourth grade Math exercise and has complained about headaches, nausea and dizziness. But Avi was too scared to let her go to sleep.