Goodbye Friend

"So what did you spend your summer doing? I tried calling but you never answered." Gabby asked accusingly.

The boat rocked gently as we anchored for the night. I stretched out in a hammock on deck. She laid across the deck sofa with her head in Jason's lap. Jason idly played with her hair sipping his drink. Allen was laid out on a beach towel soaking up the sun. Josh stretched across the opposite side of the sofa.

I shrugged. "I decided to go backpacking down in Africa."

"Yeah Ira tends to disappear without a word to anyone."  Allen peaked up from behind his sunglasses.

Gabby merely nodded. "How was that then?"

"Quiet. I like to get away. There's some gorgeous remote places. We should all go some time."

"No internet, no power, no hot water?" Josh stretched getting up for another beer. "No thanks."

"You're such a soft pretzel." I rolled my eyes at him. "Besides after this year we'll all be able to use magic outside of Hogwarts. So it's not like you couldn't bring one of those fancy magical tents. That would at least give you the hot shower when we're in between towns and villages."

Josh crinkled his nose in disgust. "Yeah camping isn't really my thing."

"Nothing is your thing Josh. Honestly I'm surprised you don't live in a bubble so you never have to touch dirt again." I picked up my cup sipping on my Tennessee honey.

Gabby,Jason, and Allen all laughed.  Josh stuck his nose in the air like some preppy thirteen year old. That just made us laugh all the harder.

"Hey have you guys gotten your schedules yet?" Jason asked.

"Almost all potions classes for me. Plus defense against the dark arts and transfigurations." I looked to Gabby.

"Charms, herboligy, and transfigurations." Gabby pouted at me. "So much for having classes together."

"Hey at least there's still between classes. Besides I'm still going to be Snape's apprentice. So you can always stop by the potions room anytime."

She gave me the look. I stuck my tongue out at her. Jason raised a brow at us but didn't bother to ask.

"Jason? What about you?"

"Charms mostly. Professor Flitwhick is going to let me study under him this year."

Josh and Allen had started up a game of shuffle board. Drunk and stumbling they both attempted to keep the puck on the board. Neither felt inclined to answer.

We all slipped into a comfortable silence aside from Josh and Allen's game. The waves crashed easily around us. The world was peaceful even if for just this moment.

I thought about Severus. He had managed to sneak out a letter letting me know he was ok at least.  I missed our late night conversations cuddling on his sofa.  I sighed deeply.

"You ok?" Gabby looked up from the sea.

"I'm good. It's just hard to believe this is our last year."

"Yeah." Gabby sighed as we settled back into silence.

A splash caught our attention. We all looked up. All of us were accounted for. We edged to the front of the boat. In the water was a soaking wet Severus Snape.

"Snape?!?" The guys said in unison.

Gabby smirked.

I grabbed a buoy and tossed it out to him. He coughed and sputtered as I pulled him up on deck.