Chapter 19

They hurtled through the time fissure, the Doctor wrapping his arms tightly around her. They fell hard to the ground, rolling in a tumble of limbs. They finally stopped and they both let out groans. She was flat on her back and he was on top of her. She opened her eyes to find herself staring into those dreamy blue-grey eyes. He slowly got off her and helped her to stand.

"Blimey, that was rough," she muttered, dusting herself off. She stared ahead at the forest they were in and slowly turned around to take in the rest of their surroundings and froze. Because there, standing with gobsmacked expressions, were the tenth and eleventh Doctor.

Her current Doctor stood in front of her, almost shielding her from strangers he perceived them to be. "Hello. I'm the Doctor. Did any of you lose a fez by any chance?" He sounded cordial and friendly, but Rose could tell he was on guard.

The tenth Doctor leaned to the left and the eleventh Doctor leaned to the right, both peering around the eighth Doctor to stare at Rose, both not believing their eyes.

"Doctor, they are you," Rose stated, refusing to return the stares of the other two Doctors. In truth, her heart was hammering in her chest and she didn't know how to feel or react. She wanted to turn and run, but her feet refused to obey.

"Really? I thought I recognised Chinny, but Sandshoes?"

"Chinny?" the eleventh Doctor exclaimed indignantly, turning his attention to the eighth Doctor.

But the tenth Doctor didn't bother with a retort. Instead he started walking slowly to Rose, as though in a daze. "Rose?" he asked, his voice full of heartbreak, yet restraint.

And looking into those chocolate brown eyes, eyes that belonged to her lover and husband and best friend, Rose felt all her grief reawakening and her resolve breaking. Tears shimmered in her eyes and she mutely nodded, words having suddenly fled from her.

He was now standing in front of her and he slowly stretched out his hand to touch her, almost afraid that she would disappear before his eyes. She hastily stepped back and shook her head. "Sorry, I can't," she explained weakly.

Something shattered in his eyes and he closed them tightly, his hand dropping and balling into a fist. Suddenly he rounded on the eighth Doctor. "What have you done to her?" he shouted, the Oncoming Storm rolling off of him in waves.

"I beg your pardon? I have done nothing," the eighth Doctor said, trying to maintain calmness.

"Look at her! It looks like she's been through hell!"

"She's been through the Time War," the eleventh Doctor said quietly.

"What!" Ten shouted, whirling on Eleven, shock written all over his face.

The eleventh Doctor stalked towards the eighth, fire burning in his eyes. "I told you to keep her safe," he hissed.

"You knew about this?" Ten asked.

Eleven ignored him, his emerald green eyes boring into Eight's. Eight sighed and then motioned for them to come closer. He closed his eyes and said, "Contact."

Eleven studied him for a moment with shrewd eyes, but he finally consented and closed his eyes and repeated the words of Eight. Ten looked over to Rose and she gave him a nod, rubbing her arms as though she were cold. He looked imploringly at her but did what the other two had done. She picked at her thumb nail, waiting for Eight to get the other two up to speed on everything that had happened since she had appeared. After a minute or two they finally opened their eyes and all three turned to stare at her. Eight had nothing but admiration and respect in his eyes for her. Ten looked horrified, though she suspected it was largely to do with the fact that he hadn't actually give her the happily ever after that he thought he had. Eleven was frowning slightly, as though she were a mystery. He was the hardest one to read. He played his emotions close to his heart. Although he had been fairly open with her when she had first landed on his Tardis, that man was no longer visible. She wondered how many years had passed for him. It must have been quite a while.