Just A Little Help

Iida sat on the couch farthest from the front doors, his knee lightly bouncing as he waited for Yaoyorozu. He had all of his notes spread across the table before him, scanning them briefly as to have them remembered by the time she arrived. I wonder what she’s doing up there. Yaoyorozu’s usually pretty quick to act when she says she’s doing something...

“Hey.”

He startled, his head snapping up as someone rested a hand on the back of the couch beside him. Looking up from his papers, he saw Yaoyorozu standing at his side. Her hair was down and neatly pulled over one shoulder. A pair of black shorts and a nice looking loose white shirt to go with them adorned her body, complimenting her fairly pale skin and dark hair. After a moment of awkward staring, Iida fixed his glasses, pushing them further up on his nose.

“Yaoyorozu. I was wondering where you were.”

She offered a small smile, taking a seat across from him on the opposite couch. “Sorry. I wanted to get out of that uniform.”

“Don’t you think that’s a little formal for studying?” He remarked, noting her nice clothing. She looked down at her shirt.

“Oh, this thing? I’ve had it forever. I usually just wear it around my room or to bed.” He nodded at her response, admiring her almost flustered appearance. She really is a rich girl, alright. “So, this is everything that I missed the first couple of days?” She questioned, snapping him back into focus.

“And then some. I may have brought a few extra notes and papers we did just in case we finished early.”

"I don’t really think we’ll have time for all of these, but thanks for taking that into consideration.”

Yaoyorozu slung her bag off her shoulder, setting on the ground beside her as she got out her notebook. Iida caught himself staring at her bandaged neck as her attention remained away from him. He didn’t want to be seen as rude; he didn’t like it when people stared at him while he was injured, so he assumed she would likely be the same. She did seem irritated earlier when everyone was asking about what happened.

“So I was thinking we could just start with the basics of what we went over and gradually move our way to the major things you missed. Surprisingly, you actually didn’t miss much, but I took a lot of notes over the few things we did do in class that wasn’t physical training.” He leaned forward, picking up one of the papers. “So basically, we-” He cut himself off as a loud chime echoed through the commons space, catching their attention. He sighed and looked to his phone. “Sorry. Give me a moment.”

“No problem. I can just scan the first few pages to get the gist of it,” Yaoyorozu replied with a kind smile. Iida nodded, pulling the phone from his pocket.

Mother’s texting me? He opened the message, a little concerned.

Mom: [Tenya, you need to come home right away. Your brother’s having issues with his back again. We’re heading to the hospital now.]

Iida looked back up to Yaoyorozu, who was looking intently over the stacks of papers he had brought for her. He bit his lip, returning his gaze to his phone.

Tenya: [I’ll be there as soon as I can. Tell Tensei to take it easy.]

“I’m so sorry Yaoyorozu,” he said once he sent the message. The girl gave him a confused look.

“Parden?”

He began collecting the papers, leaning to reach them all. “I have to go. My brother has to go to the hospital again.”

“Tensei Iida?” Yaoyorozu said. He nodded in confirmation. “The one who was attacked by the Hero Killer?”

"Yes.”

Her hand raised to her mouth, gently touching her lips. “I’m sorry, Iida-san.”

“No, I should be the one to apologize. I said I’d help you and now I’m running off.”

“No, no! It’s perfectly fine.” She rose to her feet and began helping him pick up his papers. “You go be with your older brother. From what I remember, his encounter with Stain resulted in him being paralyzed from the waist down. He needs you more than I do.”

“Thank you for understanding.”

"Yaoyorozu?”

Her and Iida turned to see Todoroki standing next the elevators as they shut behind him. She handed Iida his papers, standing up.

"Todoroki,” she said. “I didn’t think you were up at this time.”

“What’s going on?” He asked. “It looks like you’re in a hurry.”

Iida rose to his feet, situating his stacks of papers inside his bag. “Something came up with my brother while I was helping Yaoyorozu with something. I have to go.” He turned to the girl with a slight bow. “I apologize for running off so quickly.”

“I already told you it’s okay, Tenya. This is your family. Go and be with them.” She nodded her head, resembling a bow as she grabbed her own bag. “We can study some other time.”

He nodded in return, looking back once at Todoroki, then fled the Height’s Alliance. Yaoyorozu looked to the red and white haired boy across the room. “What are you doing up so late?”

“I could ask you the same question. With everything that happened today, I’d think you were already in bed,” he remarked.

“I just came back from talking with Jiro. On my way to the elevators, I decided to see what Iida-san was doing to see of I could catch up in some of my studies.” She adjusted the strap of her bag, heading toward him. “If I had known you were still awake, I would have asked you.”

“I don’t care who you hang out with. It’s not like I’m gonna get jealous over Iida or something, Yaoyorozu.” He brushed her hand with his. “I know how you feel. My twenty something unread messages on my phone prove that.”

She blushed bright red, clicking her teeth. “W-well, you weren’t responding! I was sitting in a hospital bed trying to get ahold of you to see how you were handling your quirk. If you would’ve responded, I would have stopped. For a second I thought you were dead or something.”

He chuckled. “Sorry. I just...well, you know why I didn’t reply.”

"I know.” She took his arm, placing a quick kiss by his lips. “But I’m glad you finally stopped running away from me.”

"Yeah…” He reached down and laced their fingers together as he pressed the button and waited for the elevator to come back down.  “Me too.”