Chapter 1-The First Spark

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. -Albert Schweitzer

~.~.~.~. 

You know those memories that you're always holding? The ones that no matter how hard you try, you can't forget them? We all have some of those, and I might have a few. Okay, well, I have a lot. Sad, happy, exciting, crazy memories that are all locked away in the back of my mind, all seeming quite fresh and new. Kind of like a book: pages and pages of words, actions, and memories, all fresh in my mind, like they have just happened. But in reality, they happened quite some time ago, they are just right there, sitting in the back of my mind, ready to come out and be written out in front of me, just like a story. So, that's what I'm going to do. All these memories are ready to replay in front of me, just like a story, so I'm ready too. Let's just hope I can handle them all.

- - - -

I remember that first day so clearly. It was a cool January morning. There I was, sat all alone at the picnic table, book laid gently across it. I was so engrossed in the story all the screaming and yelling of the other children playing around me seemed so faded out. I could barely even hear them. The book was Little House on the Prairie and I was probably at the middle of the book. I was a very advanced second grader. I read at a 5th grade reading level and I was two math classes ahead of my own class. I wasn't a complete nerd, the only things I really enjoyed were reading and writing, oh, and music class. I was pretty much forced into all the other advanced classes but I didn't mind, they weren't very challenging.

It was my first day at this school, and I hadn't even learned the name of it yet. My mom had only told me about going there three days before it started. It was already the second semester of school. My mom had pulled me out of my other school because well...I had no friends. So, she was hoping I could make some friends at this school. The kids at this school weren't very welcoming though, in fact, nobody had even tried talking to me yet. But, come on, it had only been two hours since school started, maybe a kind, helpful student would come along and talk to me, maybe even be my friend. I had my hopes up, but in the back of my mind I was already thinking it would be that same way as at my other school: alone. I was used to it now, so I guess I wasn't very surprised that no one even showed an effort to be my friend. 

I pushed a few stray hairs behind my ear after they had fallen into my eyes, blocking my view from the words on the page. Clutching both ends of the book, I leaned in closer, placing my elbows on the table and pushing my red glasses up higher onto my nose. I tugged on my pony tail, making it tighter. The chapter came to an abrupt stop, ending on a cliff hanger. I turned the page to continue reading, but the sound of the bell rang through my ears telling me that recess was over. Sighing, I dog-eared the page, marking the chapter I had ended at. Still sat on the bench, I looked around at all the other second graders running frantically to get in line to go back to the classroom. Some kids glared at me as they ran past, but most completely ignored me as they took their place in line. 

I watched as a group of boys ran by, laughing and pushing each other around, but one boy was a little bit behind them, walking at a leisurely pace. A curly mop of brown hair sat on his head and the curls shook with each step he took. He had piercing green eyes, but I didn't notice this until I saw him staring at me. He had stopped walking and he was just looking at me. Starting to feel uncomfortable, I looked away and kept my attention on the other kids, but I could still feel his stare as it bore into the side of my head. He finally started walking again after I looked back and he went in the line and started talking and laughing with his friends. After watching a few more kids run past, I stood up and climbed over the bench, grabbing my book in both hands.