Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die

The old Fae appeared out of nowhere, face hidden behind his cloak. They were all waiting for him, knowing for sure he would still be close, yet his sudden appearance took them by surprise.

Chise felt a lump in her throat, a bad feeling that had never left since Ashen Eyes first appeared in the cemetery. She knew she was no match against him. Even back in London, when she released the power of the Dragon Curse, Ashen Eyes just dodged her like she was nothing. Her only choice was to wait and see what was going to happen.

As the old Fae materialized, face hidden by shadows, she could only see his eyes were twisted, like he was smiling. Surprisingly happy to be there, even if he was the only one.

"What's with those sullen faces, my children?" he finally spoke, looking at everyone's concerned expressions, "Was our little Ghost Hunt a little too much for all of you?

Elias was the first one to speak out, too fed up with Ashen Eyes' nonsense.

"The specter has already passed." the mage stated, "You have no power over her soul anymore. Leave."

"Oh, I know..." The old Fae grinned, "you all did a magnificent job, I dare say."

Ashen Eyes words took everyone by surprise. Ghost Hunt? A show? A job? Chise was speechless. Was that ever what this was all about?

"I am tired of your tricks." Elias voice echoed through the whole graveyard. Chise could feel the anger he felt, just as deeply as she felt her own. "You're lucky I don't know a permanent way to keep you out of my sight..."

"Oh my, my! I already knew none of you would be willing to participate in this little game, but it turns out you are as threatening as last time..." The old Fae shrugged. "Very well. I have no intention to engage in any combat right now. My head's still a little wobbly, you see."

Oh yeah. He lost his head. At what point did Chise just start to assume people that get beheaded and then just get back to business like it's nothing? Joseph surely did some damage to what a normal human everyday experience feels like.

Even if it wasn't so normal to begin with.

Ashen Eyes glanced at the shorter members of the party and, disregarding Elias, turned to face Joseph, who hadn't said anything for a while, directly.

The old Fae let out a sigh. "Even you don't seem pleased by all I carefully prepared for our entertainment, Eldest Child of Mankind...how pitiful..."

Again with the mysteries. Had this been another way to mess with them? But he told them before, in this same cemetery, that this wasn't about them, that this was about a soul he wanted for his own collection. And now he started saying this was a show for them? Did he lie to them before? Or maybe he was lying to them now. No, it couldn't be. Fae didn't lie...did they?

Joseph lowered his gaze to the ground. Chise could see he was clenching his teeth. She had to ask.

"Why did you do all of this for? Were you lying when you said none of this had anything to do with us?"

As Chise's mouth dropped the last word, Ashen Eyes presence grew darker.

"My kind does not lie, Young Mage."

He answered, tone even, but there was an indignant rumble to it, like she had just gravely insulted him. Chise swallowed and didn't say anything more.

"I did actually want a new soul for my collection," the old Fae elaborated, "but its loss isn't a huge waste. Since I realized you three were involved, I thought that a change of plans would be necessary. I don't care about losing a soul if a can get a good show out of it."