A Tidbit of Gossip

With a deep breath, Edith grasped the door handle. Gathering her composure, she opened the door to her office. Samantha paused in the center of the room, her arms brimming with folders. She smiled brightly.

"How was your lunch?" Her mossy green eyes danced with latent energy.

Edith was reminded of a similar moment that had occurred nearly one year earlier. Back in Aldbourne, she had been on her way to lunch when she had happened to see Colonel Dobey kiss a woman as he got out of a car. A passing orderly from her father's staff had paused beside her.

Ah! That must be Colonel Dobey's fiancé

His statement had ripped a hole in her a mile wide. She had locked herself in her office for the afternoon. She hadn't cried. Perhaps she should have, it might have made it easier for her to move on.

It had been only a year since she had met Winters.

She had been picking out books in the library behind her office. He was standing at the other end of the aisle with his cap in his hands. His eyes had been like tide pools beneath a July sky. They had jarred her even then, though it took her months to admit the affect he'd had on her. Not until it was too late.

"Good." Edith straightened her jacket with a quick jerk.

Walking over to her desk, she paused. It was too hot to be so buttoned up. She stripped to her khaki, uniform shirt and loosened her tie before sitting down. Being uptight had never served her well anyway. Smoothing out her skirt, she settled herself in front of her typewriter.

"You should come with me sometime to lunch at the mess hall," Samantha casually mentioned, tucking files into a metal cabinet. "I meet up with some of the other WAC officers from HQ. They have some interesting tales to tell."

Edith gave an acknowledging hum in her throat as she picked up her letter opener.

"Did you know that there are some men who have married mistresses in town? Married girls!"

Edith glanced over with a bemused smile. Samantha's eyes were wide with gleeful naivety. As she studied her, she realized she didn't know Samantha's age. She set the opener down.

"How old are you, Samantha?"

"I turned 20 back in December."

Edith pursed her lips. She would be 27 in a few weeks' time. She couldn't remember what it was like to be 20 and shocked at the idea of a married woman having an affair. She wondered if it was the war or merely life that had left her so jaded. Samantha shooed away a shimmer of dust as she shut the drawer with a clang.

"Anyway, there are some men who keep their women around by bribing them with chocolate and cigarettes. If only we were all so easily pleased."

"You do enjoy your gossip, don't you?" Edith answered blandly, unfolding the letter from her mother.

"I'm Southern. It comes with the territory."

Edith skimmed the note. Mary Elizabeth's pregnancy was so far healthy and uneventful. She had suffered through a terrible bout of morning sickness, but seemed to be on the other side of things. Edith's mind drifted towards her own chances of marriage and children. At that moment, pregnancy seemed so far away for her. She wondered if she'd ever get the chance.

"I might have a bit of gossip for you to share at lunch, if you are interested." Edith sat back in her seat and tucked the letter into her shirt pocket, folding her hands on her middle.

Samantha was reviewing something she had typed up, her chin resting on the heel of her hand. "Do tell."

"I just came back from Colonel Sink's office." Edith's gaze cut over to the open window, the breeze shifting the curtains. "It seems he is able to get me home."

Samantha sat up straight. "For leave? That's wonderful! When are you going?"

"Sometime around my birthday at the end of the month." Edith bit her lip. "When I return to the States, I will finish up the remainder of my service to the Army at home. I should be out by September."

Samantha blinked, slowly comprehending what she was hearing. "This isn't just a quick trip home."

Edith shook her head, her jaw jutting out as she studied the girl's expression. Samantha let out her breath slowly, slumping back in her chair.

"You'll be gone for good."

Other than the sound of car engines and the occasional shout in the street below, the room was quiet. As she watched her, Edith realized that Samantha's eyes were tearing up. She started out of her seat in concern.

"Damn it." Samantha gave a soggy chuckle and reached into her pocket for her handkerchief. "I'm sorry, I don't know why- I'm actually very happy for you."

"I'm so sorry. If I had know it would upset you-"

Samantha waved her handkerchief and jumped from her seat. "No! I am so happy that you get to go home to see your family."

Racing over to her, Samantha threw her arms unbidden around Edith's neck. Caught off guard, Edith patted her on the back.

"Honest." Samantha choked, crying openly now. "I guess- I mean, I always knew we would go our separate ways once the war was over. But I didn't expect it so soon. Lieutenant, I don't want this to come across as silly or disrespectful, because I know you are my superior. But as a girl with only brothers back home, I started to look to you as an older sister... of sorts."

Edith studied Samantha's blotchy, damp face as she composed herself. She wished she had seen the friend in her sooner. Without another word, Edith returned the embrace.

"Samantha, this isn't goodbye. You understand?" Edith pulled away, holding her by her upper arms.

Samantha exhaled slowly though her nose. Her face screwed up in a flash.

"Oh hang it, I have those final reports on the arms dumps to get to Major Winters before I leave for lunch. Now my make-up is all a ruin and my eyes are probably swelling up-"

Edith patted her on the shoulder. "I'll bring them to him."

"You sure?" Samantha sighed.

"You get yourself some lunch and return with a little gossip." Edith gave her an encouraging smile. "I will drop them by the Major's office. I want to see him anyway."