Chapter 16

I hope you enjoy the chapter

Chapter 16

"Shit, get down," Jace urges me. No need to tell me, any sane person would do that. By the sound of things, it seems like it's only one shooter.

"What's going on," I whisper.

"I don't know? But stay here." Jace begins to get up from the ground. If there's an enemy assassin here to kill him then it could ruin our chances in finding our target. I grab onto his arm tightly. God, I hate playing the damsel in distress character.

"Are you seriously going out there?" I whisper. "You can get shot."

"No, I'm staying right by your side Brooky. Don't worry I'll be your hero."

Do not laugh! If only he knew what I was really capable of. I pull out my knife from my back pocket in case of the shooter coming in. Let's say I'll rather bring a knife to a gunfight than nothing at all.

Jace goes into his kitchen cabinet and takes out a revolver. "Is that a gun?" How did I not see that? Recompose yourself, Brooklyn, you gotta stay in character. "Why do you have that?"

What I would give to be out there in the heart of danger. It's boring just sitting here.

"I'm a millionaire, it'll be stupid if I didn't have anything to protect myself with."

The shooting suddenly stops and Jace gets up. Jace slowly walks towards the kitchen door. "Be careful," I say meekly.

Jace smirks to me, "of course. We have a date tonight." Jace peers into the living room and surveys the area. He motions for me to follow him.

I get up from the ground and follow him. The shooter is nowhere to be found or so we can assume. The room is completely empty. Everyone must have run out of the house. Where the hell is Jackson? It's been almost half an hour since I last saw him. He's supposed to be my backup in these situations.

"Do you think he's-" shut the fuck up. I might be undercover as a damsel in distress but that doesn't mean I wanna get myself killed.

"Shhhh," I whisper. "What if he's upstairs?" Jace nods in agreement and grabs my hand and maneuvers me to a door in the living room.

"This door is locked with a passcode. Let's hide in here for now." Jace puts in his passcode, I managed to make out the last two numbers four and seven. A slight beep goes off and the door is open.

Jace and I walk into the room. Inside are two cars that probably cost at least a quarter of a million each. So this was locked in the garage. The garage has a lot of paperwork sprawled everywhere, I should check those out. I'll make a mental note of that.

"We can stay here while we wait for the police to come."

"Alright," I agree. "Thanks for saving me."

"Anytime love." A shining glint is seen from my hand. "Is that a knife in your hand?" Shit, make something up Brooklyn.

"I was scared," I lie. "It's the first thing I saw." Jace starts to laugh, "what?"

Jace starts to clunch his stomach from laughing. "I'm sorry. But who the hell brings a knife to a gunfight. What the hell were you going to do with that?"

Well if he must know. I was going to throw this knife right between his eyes and snap their neck for sport. "I don't know. Why aren't you freaking out ?" I say running my hands through my hair.

"Well if you must know. Things like this are nothing new to me. Since I was a little kid, I've been around these things." Since he was a little kid? So he's not some punk that sells drugs. How is he related to Mr. Morte?