Chapter 2: Rejected

Lauren's Apartment – Rittenhouse Square – Two Weeks Later

Following Lauren's Emmy win, she floated around Los Angeles, Atlanta, and New York, meeting different producers and being the prodigy to Naomi Lee—all while working on the rewrites for the final episodes for season three of About a Girl. Although her face held a smile, her mind was clouded in self-doubt and pain. She'd grown into a great actress, often masking her pain in tequila shots and endless hours in front of her computer, writing any and everything. The last two weeks were a blur and now, as Lauren crossed the threshold of her apartment, she could finally slow down.

She flicked the light switch, lighting her apartment. It wasn't necessarily a beautiful day in Philly. It was overcast and the lingering smell of rain drifted through her apartment. That smell often pleased her. She'd always loved the rain and how haunting yet relaxing it was. It created a serenity she often never received in her line of work of having to jet set there and rewrite scripts here. It was the one thing that calmed her anxiety and fueled her creative juices. She closed the door behind her, rolling her suitcase in front of her. She stepped out of her shoes, tossing her sunglasses on the shelf with her keys. She pulled her hair from her ponytail, letting it fall down her back as she wrapped her hair tie around her wrist.

Her apartment was as she left it, just with a pile of mail stacked on her coffee table. Her father, Nathan Campbell, had been there. She was sure of it. Although he led a busy life being an architect, he still found time to house-sit her apartment whenever she had to pick up and leave. She appreciated it greatly, never really needing to check-in on him because she knew he'd never let anything happen to her apartment.

Not bothering to pack, Lauren flopped down on her couch. She stared at the stack of mail in front of her, hoping that it was shrouded in good news. Considering the last two weeks she'd had she was hoping for some light to filter through the darkness she was feeling. She stared at the mail for a few more seconds before diving it, grabbing the pile and placing it on her lap. She sifted through the envelopes.

Naomi Lee Productions: Royalties Department

Premiere Studios Editorial Department

LaLa Land Studios Editorial Department

James Parker & Dakota Holmes Pictures Editorial Department

Vogue Magazine

Vanity Fair Magazine

She sat the magazines down, knowing that she'd get to those later. She was more concerned about the mail from the film companies. She'd submitted a script to them a few weeks back and during the duration between them receiving her work and today, she'd been swept with waves of anxiety over anticipating their answers on whether or not they liked her script. She took a deep breath, grabbing the envelop from Premiere Studios. She ripped it open, keeping her hopes high. She unfolded the paper addressed to her, feeling her excitement dwindle as she read their greeting followed by their regrets upon telling her that they rejected her script. She sat it down beside the magazines, grabbing the next letter from James Parker & Dakota Holmes Pictures. It was the same thing, a soft introduction before a rejection blow. She pushed out a breath, hoping that LaLa Land Studios would be her saving grace.

"Three times the charm, Lauren." She told herself, slowly opening the envelop. This one was larger, containing a few notes along with their response. Their letter was less harsh but still a hard blow to Lauren. Another rejection letter she was going to add to the pile sitting on her coffee table. She flopped back on her couch, resting her head on the pillow and staring up at the ceiling.