Interlude II

Darren was not surprised when he received the summon. He's been here in this rooftop for two hours now, patiently waiting for Rui. They have agreed to hold this meeting in daytime least the night wont be able conceal them. Rui can manipulate Light, they are more safe from the eyes of curious humans during the day than they are during the night.

He sensed his coming. But he was not alone. He could smell the bloodlust in the air. He positioned his violin and in a matter of seconds, a haunting melody started to play.

Rui had his Regalia activated, Darren's music wouldn't be able to affect him. But he was mildly surprised to see that he was being followed by some of his clan's hired men.

As he watched them trash on their knees, holding on to their heads as the deadly melody messed up their minds, he realized he was being spied on by his own people. This was serious, he thought. And he wouldn't allow this, the clan should bend to his will. No one was worthy to replace him should the round table decided to overthrow him. But for now he has to talk to Darren first.

When all the men in black had lost their consciousness, he carefully threaded his way to Darren. The haunting melody halted and Darren coldly stared at him.

They both know why they were here.

"I want my child's custody."

"You're nothing but a sperm donor, Rui. Don't flatter yourself too much."

Darren always had known how to push his buttons but he had known the moment he lose his cool he would certainly lose the case.

"She is my daughter. She was not yours and Annie wasn't her mother."

"You have to kill us four before you can get your hands on Lei and you have to kill Annie too. "

He had foreseen this. He wont be able to get his daughter now that she' part of the Royals. He swallowed bitterly. He will raise another man's child while his own daughter will never experience him being her father.

This was how fate toyed with him.

Darren saw the play of emotions in his eyes. Anger. Regret. Longing. Sadness.

He felt him. Rui knew this time he was defeated.

"Rui, fate has decided already. Your ambitious drive has cost Annie to lose her parents. But your child, a living legacy of your bloodline, was delivered into her arms. You have destroyed her but it was also you who have completed her unknowingly. Lei has made her whole again, your baby has completed our small family and I am going to be her father. We will raise her to become a full-pledge Royal. A Raven with a strong call of responsibility and obligation. A champion of justice. Time will come Lei will be able to correct all the sorrow and pain you have inflicted to our race.

I'm not asking you to forget about her. I am asking you to give her the chance to live outside your clan's deep seated hatred. A misplaced hatred your clan has harbored for so many centuries.

Can't you see? We are now in the middle of our times. Sooner or later, our children will occupy this space we have right now and us will soon be a memory only.

Lei has your insignia, Rui. If all will go as what has been planned, Lei and the heirs of the four pillars of the Royals will be able to complete the five-pointed star. We are about to enter a new millenia. They are going to have their own generation. We will all fade into the background soon.

Make use of your time wisely, Rui. Maybe all of these has happened in your reign as we all had acknowledge already, you are the best leader ever been born from Min.

I hope you will consider Lei in whatever decisions you have to make from now on.

Fight us and you will see war.

Our race will soon cease to exist, Rui, if you will not change your ways. In as much as I want to see you dead, I also know only you can lead your clan to its glory. "

This was the longest speech Darren has ever made but he felt lighter in the end. He was able to express what it is that he and his brothers would want Rui to understand.

Rui remained silent but he completely understands what Darren is trying to point out.

The Raven feud has to end already.

"I will do my thing and don't ever interfere with my path again, Darren. I will lead my clan the best way that I can. Reconciliation is still not possible this early but know that I will strive to live long enough to see the impossible coming true."

He sadly smiled.

"Our children will be able to accomplish what is it that we have failed, Darren."

And with that he quietly turned around to leave.

*

Ceasar requested Connor to take some responsibilities off from Dylan. He has seen how their youngest brother was drowning himself with work as he was trying to evade the inevitable.

Dylan needs to find his pair sooner as they were all leaning closer to their first century.

Connor was glad to oblige but Dylan has other plans on how to use the small window of free time given to him.

He made sure that every morning, he and Yue will walk around their area at least for an hour. When Caesar asked him about this, he volunteered that he will baby sit Yue just so Caesar and Jiaqi can enjoy their married life without worrying about Yue's health. Walking will benefit her heart, he said.

Twice a week he brings Yue to different restaurants and diners because Dylan is concerned again that Caesar and Jiaqi wont be able to date if Jiaqi is constantly worried about Yue.

Saturdays were mostly spent with them cooking and baking. Caesar had asked that Jiaqi will have Yue during Sundays. He was hoping that Dylan will be able to mingle more given the time made for his social life but instead Dylan has dedicated a big fraction off his time being with Yue.

When Caesar tried to call his attention, Darren told him not to pressure Dylan as he was already stressed and maybe being with Yue helps him cope up with his problems.

"We are running out of time, Darren."

"We are not here to decide for him."

"Do you think it will help if I will bring Jiaqi and Yue to Germany next month? Why do I have the feeling that Di is using Yue as a distraction. It wont be good for all of us if Dylan will fail to find his mate. He was supposed to be the clan leader and we all need to produce an heir. How can he be so passive on this serious matter."

Darren has no answer to that.

"That's it then. I will bring my family to Germany next month and while we are away, I want you and Connor to see to it that Dylan will be able to meet all the other female Ravens he hasn't met. If we have to ask Terence for help, we will. We will also use this time away to seek medical help for Yue. I have heard how Germany is advancing in their heart research. Perhaps we can still find a long-term cure for Yue."