Prologue

CARLIN

Closing my eyes, I tilt my head back to the headrest of my Mazda and take a deep breath. I am nervous, terrified even, but now that I know for certain I had to tell him.

"Here goes nothing..." I mutter to myself.

Unclipping my seat belt, I grab my purse and the envelope off my passenger seat and head toward our home. I love this house. When Jake and I found the ad just after my freshman year, we both couldn't pass up the two bedroom cabin nestled just off of the main campus. It was close to the small town of Riley we grew up in and the price was reasonable. The charm was what really hooked us, though.

" Babe, I'm hommeee!" Kicking off my Toms and placing them on the rack, I notice Jake's chucks were missing. In fact, his dress shoes and running sneakers were also gone. No sound coming from the kitchen or living room lead me to ascend the stairs toward our bedroom. "Hey, Jay! Where are you?" Drawers half open and papers all over the floor catch me off guard. Something sticks out at me on the bed. His titanium engagement ring sits atop a box. I recognize the box immediately. My father's cufflinks. Realization takes over me even though I don't want to believe it. I collapse against the wall feeling my eyes start to water and my vision begins to blur.

He'd been acting strangely for weeks. Ever since I told him about the job offer from Everyday magazine, the tension between us was thick and I could feel the distance. He was pushing me away. Longer hours at work, more runs, less affection. I was scared he was starting to think about leaving but I never actually thought he would. Oh God, how did this happen?

After what feels like hours of laying on the floor pouring out every ounce of pain I am feeling, I get up slowly and place myself on the bed. I need to be okay. I need to get through this. If I could get past everything else I've been through in my life, I can get past this too. I need to be strong. But how?

_______________________________________________________________________________

What does everyone think?

Going to keep reading?