Chapter 3

The next day was a Saturday. 

I woke up feeling very lightheaded from all the crying last night. It was very cruel of them to have accused me of such things when they knew it was the complete opposite!

I sighed and sat up. Yawning and trying to stretch at the same time, I groaned, feeling all kinds of sore from passing the night on the cold, hard tiled floor. 

"Fuck my life" I mumbled.

I remembered Ronnie and I had planned to go to the mall today but it wasn't possible, as I was grounded for an offense I didn't commit.

I sound dramatic, I know. But trust me, it sucks. 

I managed to get up, said a short prayer and made my way to the bathroom. I got into the shower first, setting the water temperature till it was hot and the shower glass was fogging up. 

I let the water wet my hair and pound on my back till I felt the muscles loosen. I  quickly freshened up and then, drying myself and tying a towel around my torso. I quickly brushed my teeth and got out to look for clothes to wear. 

I wore a tank top and yoga pants. Piling my wet hair into a messy bun, I wore my bunny slides and made my way downstairs in search of breakfast. 

On getting to the kitchen, the scent of freshly baked cinnamon rolls wafted through my nose. 

Mama Jones.

She was the head housekeeper and chef. Also the oldest, both in service and age. She was in her late fifties, dark skin and always put up her hair in a bun. 

Ronnie and I absolutely adored her.

For starters, her food and pastries were heaven. also, she was the only one who seemed to have some control over the twins and it always gave me joy to watch. 

For this reason, everyone in the house called her mama Jones, even Lauren and Carmen, except mom and dad of course. She has been with us since Bryson was a toddler. 

"Good morning mama Jones" I said, skipping into the kitchen over to where she was by the oven, bending over to bring the buns out of the oven.

"Good morning chile" she said, giving me a wide smile and turning around.

I gasped. She was wearing her hair down today. In all the years I've seen her here, she never wore her hair down. It was always in a bun. I never realized how long and full it was until today. Her hair was silvery grey and it cascaded down her shoulders. She looked so beautiful.

"Mama Jones. What's up with the change?" I asked, still dazed.

"What do you mean, chile?" she asked, giving me a playful smile with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Oh come on, just tell me already. I promise I won't tell" I leaned in close, and whispered the last, as if conspiring. 

She kept on smirking playfully. 

"Oh come on. Did you win a lottery? Well, if you did you still wouldn't be working with us, would you? Or did your son come home from the military? Or is it a man? Are you going out on a date? I asked, my eyes alight with curiosity.