The Breakdown

•SYRTIS•

SYRTIS

— is a Latin word that fascinated me from the moment I laid eyes on it. And the meaning of it captures Jessica and Amin's situation.

The word refers to quicksand in general, but it is also used to describe a dangerous situation from which it is hard to escape.

The Lebanese and the Liberians have one thing in common: Business. Occasionally, there's a mix of pleasure but it's for a fleeting moment. Most lebanese families are more relaxed on the unspoken rule of keeping their bloodline purely Lebanese, and then there are the traditional Lebanese men who wouldn't dream of breaking the rule.

There's an underlying feeling of hatred on the side of the Liberians, directed towards the Lebanese because of the way they're treated generally or while working for them. And some to most liberian families would rather not see their children mixed up with them, in the name of love and relationship.

Jessica Kladé King and Balil Amin Azam are reminded of these things everyday as they go through their relationship, fighting against the odds.

Until everything comes at a standstill and she needs to make a choice. A difficult choice. Fight for her rights? Or  blend in, fade into the background?

Fight to stay alive in the quicksand? Or let herself go and get covered, her life fading away?

___________________________________