[08]

"This kid is technically your new boss

"This kid is technically your new boss."

---

They arrived at the Raptor paddock, a place Elle visited often, having too much time on her hands on the island. They were ordered to stay in the car, so Elle watched on as Owen punched Hoskins. Something she knew the asshole deserved. He always looked at her as if she were a piece of meat, not to mention the fact that he had very little conscience. He didn't realise that the dinosaurs were living, breathing creatures with feelings and needs. They could easily turn on them, but apparantly, Hoskins was too far up his own ass to listen to others. He infuriated her, in short. 

She glared at the man as he spoke to Owen. The conversation was a mystery to her, but she could guess it was something to do with them using the raptors as weapons. 

"I can't just sit here," she told the two boys, climbing over Zach and out of the car. 

"Elle, wait-"

Zach was cut off by the slamming of the car door.

"Hoskins, as the new owner of the park, I have to say no way in hell," Elle spat, storming over to them. "In my Dad's Will everything was left to me, including the park, therefore any plans you have have to go through me."

"Elle..." Owen trailed off. 

"I know the park better than he did," she added. "So what's the plan?"

"Use the Raptors to find the Indominous," Owen summarised. He pushed the girl to the side. "I think we should do it. At least with me agreeing we have someone on our side in the team," he told the girl, his voice low enough so only she heard. Elle nodded, moving back over to the other adults. 

"What's in the dinosaur?" She demanded. 

"I'm not telling a kid-" Hoskins said. 

"This kid is technically your new boss," Elle argued. 

"Elle, I think we should do it," Owen repeated. 

"Are you sure?" Elle questioned. "Even without knowing-"

"Listen, this is-" Hoskins began. 

"I wasn't asking you," she spat.

"Yes," Owen said, confident in his answer. 

"You're the expert," she replied. "Fine. Just don't die. You're one of the few on the island I like."

"I'll try not to," he joked, earning a weak smile from the girl. 

Claire moved over to the young girl, pulling her into a hug.

"Your dad would be so proud of you," she whispered. "I know you don't agree with this but we-"

"Have to save the people on this island," Elle finished. "Like I said, I know this island and I know what we have to do in a crisis. But if anything happens, I will personally kick Hoskins' ass."

"And I would let you," Claire told. 

"Has anyone ever told you that you're actually not bad?" Elle questioned. "I know people always said you were too high strung or whatever but you're one of the nicest people I know."

"That's sweet, Elle."

"I'm sorry," Elle muttered. 

"What for?"

"My dad, you lost him too." Elle's voice cracked for the second time since she heard the news, but this time she began to cry. 

Claire didn't say anything, only hugging the girl again as she sobbed. Elle felt like she had done that too often lately. 

"Sorry," she cried out. 

"Don't apologise for crying," Claire comforted. "Never apologise for crying."

---

Elle had rejoined Zach and Gray, the youngest a small distance away from the older pair. 

"Are you okay?" Zach asked. He was met with the girl only staring at him. "Okay, stupid question, your Dad just died," he muttered.

"No shit," she replied, rolling her eyes.

"So what happens after this then?" He asked. 

"If I live through this, I go back into the system until I'm eighteen and then I fend for myself like I always have," she told.

"Maybe you don't have to," Zach spoke up. "Maybe you'll find another family."

"Life works out better if you don't get your hopes up," she admitted. "I'm way past fostering age, it's a miracle Simon Masrani fostered me."

"You're so pessimistic."

"Yeah, well you would be too if everyone you've ever let in just up and left you," she seethed. 

"I won't leave you," he blurted. 

"Yes you will, I don't know where I'll end up, it's inevitable," Elle reasoned. She walked away, realising the conversation was going to only get worse. She joined Owen with the Raptors. 

"Hey Owen," Elle greeted. 

"Hey Elle," Owen replied, glancing at her.

Echo stared at her as she moved closer. 

"She's always had a soft spot for you," Owen revealed. 

"Well she's adorable," Elle responded, moving her hand to gently pet the Raptor. 

"Only you would say that," Owen muttered, rolling his eyes. Elle was too focused on Echo to listen to Owen talking to Blue. 

"Owen," Gray called out from behind them. Owen turned to them, walking away from Elle and the Raptors. "Are they safe?"

"No, they're not," Owen answered. 

"What are their names?" Zach asked. His eyes remained on Elle, who was still petting Echo. 

"Well, you got Charlie," Owen began, pointing to each Raptor. "There's Echo, that Elle is hogging. Here is Delta. This one's called Blue. She's the beta."

"Who's the alpha?" Gray questioned. 

"You're looking at him, kid," Owen spoke, pride evident in his tone. 

"I'll fight you for the title," Elle joked, moving away from Echo. "I could kick your butt."

"I'd like to see you try, kid," Owen quipped. 

"Kid? I'm the damn boss here," she argued. 

Zach couldn't take his eyes off of her as she smiled brightly, suppressing her grief. Owen glanced back at the two brothers, noticing Zach's stare. He looked back at Elle to see her glancing around. 

"Since her Dad's not here, I guess I have to warn you to-" Owen began. This caught Elle's attention. 

"Owen, stop," Elle warned, realising what was about to happen.  

"Hey I'm just-"

"I will fight you," she threatened.