Chapter 19

"Come on, Rae, you have to get up," Idelle grunted as she tried to drag me out of bed by the arm.

My chest heaved, a low groan muffled by my pillow. "I really don't want to do this," I complained. "Why can't he just leave me alone?"

"His Majesty won't stop until he's found you a husband. If he must, he will simply choose your husband for you," Idelle tried to reason. "And you know better than anyone that his Majesty doesn't like to be kept waiting. So, come on. Get... up!" Knowing there was no way to avoid this, I allowed Idelle to pull me off the bed and onto my feet. Half-a-dozen maids were rushing around my room as they did every morning; dusting, remaking the bed, opening the curtains, sweeping the floor, making sure everything was meticulously cleaned. I didn't think it necessary to do it every morning, it was mostly just making servants waste their valuable time, but Mother and Father and the rest of Thedian nobility beg to differ.

I rushed into my closet. Given the high visibility of the Dragonheart on my chest, I'd taken to stashing containers of foundation in hiding places around my chamber, which certainly came in handy for days like this. Unfortunately, the Dragonheart also meant that simple nightdresses were no longer an option, so I was forced to wear my silk dressing gown over the top while I slept. I quickly lathered the foundation onto my chest before stepping back outside in my dress slip, where Milaia and Laureia were waiting with the corset. "Shoot me through," I muttered to myself as I stepped into their grasp. The air was forced from my lungs as they tightened the lace at my back. As usual, the maids left once the corset had finished being firmly secured to my torso; Idelle being the exception. "I hate suitor visits," I grumbled.

"Well, at least you can skip out on Protocol this morning," Idelle shrugged with a wistful twinkle in her eyes. She was really trying to cheer me up, as she had been for the last six weeks since my father forced me into a strict schedule to turn me into the silent, well-poised princess that I should be. I couldn't thank her enough for the effort. She gestured towards the makeup vanity, guiding me into the seat for her work her magic. Her calloused yet gentle fingers weaved through my hair, lightly framing my face with small, dangling curls as she pulled the rest up into a loose bun with a braided headband. With my hair out of the way, she started on the makeup.

When she brushed on the last bit of eyeshadow, she spun me around to look in the mirror. "It's stunning, as always," I smiled. The dark, shimmering bronze made my eyes glow like emeralds, and the cherry gloss made a nice contrast to my skin and hair.

Her chest puffed out a little as she beamed. I could see her dark eyes sparkling with pride. "Well, His Majesty will be waiting. We should get you into your dress."

"And just what do you have planned for me today?" I chuckled as she dragged me to my closet by the arm.

"You'll see in a second," was her only response. All I could hear was the ruffling of fabric as she searched for the right dress among the hundreds of other dresses present in my extensive wardrobe. Finally, she found it. A light blue sleeveless gown with lace flowers cascading down the torso and seemingly growing up from the bottom of the tulle fabric like ambrosia flowers. "What do you think?"

"I love it, Idelle," I couldn't help grinning as I heaved a sigh. She helped me into the dress and placed a pair of glittering gold heels on the floor for me to slip into.

On the seat that had previously held the dress was an antique mahogany box with gold trim. I'd never seen that before. What was inside? Idelle made sure to pick up the box with care as she walked back over. "Her Majesty requested you wear this," she muttered. I opened it. Inside, resting atop a velvety, navy blue cushion, was a bracelet. A gold bracelet with an intricate weave of small diamonds and an alternating pattern of larger diamonds and sapphires. It was absolutely beautiful. The cool metal tickled my skin as I carefully slipped it around my wrist.