Chapter Three: Broken Unicorn

I'm sitting in a bath Brenda made for me, back at the house I used to call home when I had a family. She checks in on me every two minutes. I guess in her eyes I'm not above slipping under the water for too long.

I get out of the tub and don't bother drying myself off, the sheets will do that. I do a belly flop onto my bed. Ow. My face. I forgot about the glass table, the hospital, and all my butterfly bandages.

She lays out a pair of clean underwear, sweatpants and a sweatshirt on the bed in front of me, "Can you dress yourself okay?"

With my face still pressed into the messy covers I say, "Of course I can, don't be ridiculous."

"All right. I'll go make you lunch."

I can't imagine what it's going to be. Something awful, I'm sure.

She returns as I finish wrestling the sweatshirt over my bandaged head. I sit on the bed and she hands me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Pretty hard to mess that up, though she's heavy handed with the peanut butter and my tongue keeps sticking to the roof of my mouth.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice Brenda standing there, fidgeting with her hands. Ugh, she's annoying even when she's quiet. Since my mouth is full and I'm holding my sandwich with both hands, I stomp my foot on the ground to get her attention.

Finally, she says, "I have to tell you something."

Well, duh.

"During the months I didn't visit you, I had a lot of time to think." She sits next to me. "I had already lost my job so, I packed my things..." She waits for me to look her in the eyes and continues, "I'm moving in."

I clench my sandwich, shaking my head and screaming in my thoughts, but all I can muster is mumbled words through peanut butter, "No. No, you said you weren't coming back until I called you!"

"What can I say? I wanted to see how you would react, and your guarded response, 'good' showed me you need my help. Then your outburst and accident made me realize you need me full time. I think it would be best for both of us, and you obviously can't be trusted by yourself in your state."

In my state? I can't believe she's blaming me! I was perfectly capable until she came barging in. I fell while in her company, not alone. It's her fault! 'In my state' she says. Unbelievable. I swallow the gob of peanut butter. "If you're moving in, then I'm leaving."

"Don't worry, I'm going to keep a close eye on you. We can heal together while living off the settlement for a while."

Shit. She's been planning this. I take another bite of the squished sandwich and pace around the room. I hear a large truck out front. I drop the sandwich and charge to the window. There's a freaking truck in my driveway with one of those huge portable storage units the size of a garage! This can't be happening. This can't be happening.

Now she's outside talking to the driver, gesturing for them to 'put it right here'. Right in the driveway. It's happening. It's freaking happening. Damn it, Brenda! I have to get out of here now or I might not get another chance. I run around the room trying to focus. Small travel bag from closet. Annie's letter. Small framed picture of me, Dave and Annie. Pajamas. Wallet with ID. I'm good. I'm good... I'm forgetting something... Bank card!

I run downstairs with my packed bag and rummage through the piles of papers in the kitchen tofind my card. It has to be here somewhere.

"What are you doing?" She's caught me.

I shove the wallet in a pocket of my bag, hike up the sleeves of my sweatshirt and continue throwing papers around. She's trying to grab hold of my wrists, so I keep thrashing my arms around.