|| FOUR ||

The Serpents had been waiting for what felt like hours, watching a dull scene where Hot Dog laid on the dry grass tied to a post. His fur was matted and every now and then he'd let out a whimper. It was very clear that he hadn't been properly fed in weeks., and the thought of it being a warning about baby Fogarty made Lauryn feel sick.

"I can't keep just watching like this," she objected, stepping forward from by the truck when Jughead caught her by the sleeve of her leather jacket. "What, Jones? Let's just go get him and get out of here."

"We gotta wait," Jughead lectured. "What if they show up now?"

"If we keep waiting, someone will show up," Fangs pitched in. "How do we know they aren't watching us already?"

"A little longer," Jughead decided. "Lauryn and I will go in and grab him. Sweet Pea, you better stay in the driver's seat in case we're ambushed."

"All right," Sweet Pea agreed, getting back into the truck. "I still think I should be going in there instead of Lauryn."

"I disagree, Sweet Pea," Jughead scoffed. "This is between me, Lauryn and the Ghoulies. Not you."

"Courtney is my kid too, you know-"

"Don't start, please!" Lauryn snapped, leaning into the trailer window. "The last thing we want is you two bashing each other's heads in, right now. Whatever it is, we can talk about it later."

"You're not even talking to me."

"I will," she said. "Just let me do this."

Sweet Pea grunted, slamming his hand down on the steering wheel and looking forward into the trees. "Whatever."

Their legs were growing tired, eyes beginning to droop with exhaustion. They'd all had enough. The Serpents had all changed posts, perching in different areas of the truck in hope of it helping with the boredom they were dealing with.

"I'm not okay with this," Sweet Pea spoke, having to clear his throat slightly. "Them taking Hot Dog because they couldn't get Courtney. They want us to show weakness. I should be going in there instead of Jones. I'm Courtney's dad."

Lauryn raised a brow from where she was sat next to him in the truck, slightly surprised at his statement. "Jughead made that deal with the baby in the first place. Tall Boy sold us out. I was there in the Ghoulie Lair months ago."

"Peabody wants you to show up," Sweet Pea told her, gritting his teeth. "Which is why I'm worried about you."

"I'll be okay," she reassured him yet again, staring forward into the trees. 

He reached for her hand, and her eyes twitched as she closed them. "What's goin' on with you, baby? Why are you a loose canon again?"

"I'm just..."

"All right, Sweet Pea?" Jughead began sharply, catching the couple off guard. "You guys keep lookout. Lauryn, lets get moving."

"Coming," Lauryn replied as she jumped out of the truck, following Jughead into the dangerous territory as the other Serpents watched anxiously. Fear written all over Fangs' face, he practically chewed up his nails.  

They finally reached the dog, who perked up at the sight of them. Jughead knelt down, petting him. "Hey bud."

"Let's get you out of here," Lauryn comforted, patting his head as Jughead broke the chain holding him captive, which could never have been done quietly, and the two Serpents were blinded suddenly by floodlights.

"There you are, you two," Penny jeered as she emerged from behind the corner followed by an army of Ghoulies behind her, weaponed up and foaming at the mouth. "Welcome back to the Southside, I thought this mangy mutt would get you to show up. Hit a nerve, did I, Lauryn?"