Chapter 8

It had been two weeks since Erin came home from the hospital. She had stayed at Malcom and Brenda's house for a week then moved to her home. The house was always a buzz of activities, her family and friends always dropped by. Brandon had to get back to work and Roy was handling Red-line full time. But there was always someone or people to keep her company. She was in her reading cocoon with a book and her mother and Don's Mother were in the backyard with drinks and music. Hers and Don's parents had grown into best of friends. Looking at them it looked like they had been friends for ages.

All seemed blissful except for the time bomb that was Martha.

Malcom had met Kevin and they had agreed that if he could locate Martha he would notify the police and Malcom. Kevin was beside himself with guilt about what happened to Erin. He had asked to meet her, but Malcom refused.

Martha was still at large, but the police and the private security hired were looking for her.

In the afternoon, Brandon came home to take Erin to the hospital for a scheduled checkup he followed the laughter and found Erin and the mothers in the backyard. Erin was sound asleep, but their moms seemed to be having conversations with her tummy.

He looked at them amused. "Hi" he said leaning on the door frame.

"Oh, hi Don" Ivanna said, "Come see your babies react to songs" she said laughing.

Don walked over to them and watched as they sang, and the babies kicked or moved. It was heartwarming and heart wrenching at the same time. It looked like the babies were pulling in opposite directions and stretching all out, yet Erin was sleeping through it. He observed for a bit marveling and the babies' reactions and their grandmothers' excitement then going back to the fear her felt for Erin. He slowly walked over to them and patted Erin's shoulder to wake her up.

"Hi," she said smiling a him

"Hi love, we have to go to the hospital." He said watching her. He remembered when he was day dreaming about her pregnant, he had not pictured it well, she was beautiful and the best part was that she was his, she loved him.

She heaved herself up. "I will just change my clothes and we can leave." She said walking into the house.

"You will have security right?" Ivanna asked once she was out of ear shot.

"Yes, in two cars. Should be fine. "Brandon said though he did not feel as confident.

He walked into the house to see if she needed help. He found her seating on the bed with a pair of vans in her hands. He smiled at her frustrated face, took the shoes from her hands and knelt to help her.
They walked out of the house a short while later into his G55.

"Hi!" the doctor said cheerfully as they walked into the office. "How are you feeling today Erin?"

"Stuffed!" Erin said and they all laughed.

"Well, seeing that you are doing the last leg you are bound to be feeling a bit out of it. Let's check you up and see how the little ones are doing." She said.

Brandon helped her on to the examination table and held her hand as the doctor went on with the ultrasound.

"The babies look good." She said. "But.... you see that?" she said pointing at a spot on the screen, "That is a strain on the scar that does not look good at all." She said. "clean up dear

Let us talk."

The doctor went back to her desk and started typing away on her computer while Don wiped the gel off Erin's tummy and helped her into the chair at the doctor's desk. He then sat down opposite her.