1

boris pavlikovsky was in love. he'd never admit it, but he was. 'head-over-heels' as some would say. but there was one problem. he was in love with his best friend, and theo didn't feel the same way.

but then there were those nights, where everything felt perfect. and boris thought maybe, just maybe, theo didn't know how he felt. he was wrong, as theo would remind him — never harshly, but always just when boris would start to get hope.

this time it was different. this time, when boris woke up just as sunlight had started to enter the room, theo was still sleeping. boris' half asleep eyes looked over the boy's figure, the way the daylight shone on theo's freckled skin. he mentally noted all the freckles that he had never taken time to notice, they were from the days they'd spend in the pool together. not worried about anything in the world besides each other. he felt safe, next to theo underneath the sheets. he always felt safe with theo.

he fell out of his thoughts and back into reality where theo was still softly snoring, and his eyes traced over his face. a few bruises and cuts from nights they were too high or drunk to remember, but boris still found his face heavenly. his messy blonde hair, which hadn't been cut in who knows how long, looked like a halo in the golden glow coming from the window.

even though he'd never admit it, boris could never get tired of looking at theo. he wondered if the other boy ever noticed how sometimes when he would start rambling, boris would zone out and focus on the tiny details about him; the way his lips would curve up into a smile or thin out into a small line as he spoke, always so expressive.

his focus moved to a small scar near theo's ear. memories from his mother, he would explain, but never tell exactly how he got it. boris frowned slightly as he thought, theo had a life without him. he had a time when he was happier and didn't want drugs or alcohol all the time.

he never fully blamed himself, but he knew if theo had never met him maybe he'd be having a more decent life at the time. but, he also knew that if he had never met theo, he wouldn't be here right now.

he wouldn't be in love.

he wouldn't be watching theo sleep.