1. An Arrangement

A hush was swept over the bar tonight. The whole place was booked out and there was a specific set list for the night. Running her eyes over the song list, everything seemed pretty adequate, most were songs she would have chosen herself, and one or two were ones she had to practice.

Silently, the few workers set off to do what needed to be done to get ready. One was wiping the tables down and another setting up the tables that were cleaned. Another was making sure that the bar was ready, making sure they were all stocked and faced towards the would-be customers. The band was tuning their instruments, making sure everything was plugged in. A girl who was normally doing the lights was late today, so she was fumbling around her station out of breath.

“Need help?”

“Uh, that would be great thanks.” The girl had a long bob, dark brunette hair and glasses. “You’re Blanche right?”

“Yeah,” Nodding, Blanche had only properly met the new girl now, she’d been working there for a month or so but she never really got introduced. “Poppy?”

“Yeah.” She grinned, “New at this whole thing though.”

“You seem great to me.” Blanche smiled, unravelling an extension cord for the girl.

“Huh, thanks. That means a lot.” She really did seem to know what she was doing. Blanche on the other hand was as clueless as a Flintstone in space.

“No problem.” Blanche continued with unwinding other knotted wires and continued to hand them to Poppy, allowing her to take over in plugging them in to their respectable places. “The person hiring the place out seems to be quite specific. And his poor guests, he didn’t want us to prepare food, only to buy stuff at the bar on their own accord.”

“Strange.” Poppy said hard at work, yet listening.

Ultimately, the place was all set up. Clean, sprinkled with candles and fairy lights. The place seemed a little magical tonight; it was definitely a huge improvement to the shabby chic aura of the bar. The exposed stone walls, timber sleepers, and retro furniture seemed animated tonight. This person must have paid big bucks for the place.

The first song of the night was ‘Fever’ it wasn’t specific which version, but Blanche quite enjoyed Michael Bublé’s version so she had adapted from there.

 Soft bass played, deep and reverberating through her essence. A deep crimson light fell upon her.

Never know how much I love you, never know how much I care.

When you put your arms around me, I get a fever that’s so hard to bear.

You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight.

Fever, in the morning, fever all through the night.

Blanche unconditionally, unquestionably, adored this song.

Now you’ve listened to my story, here’s the point that I have made:

Chicks were born to give you fever, be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade.

They give you fever, when you kiss them, fever if you live and learn.

Fever, till you sizzle.

What a lovely way to burn.

What a lovely way to burn.”   

A touch of the piano, a smidgen of deep bass, and a dash of drums ended the song. Blanche turned to look at her band, they seemed pleased in their performance, which meant it would be smooth sailing for the rest of the night. Looking out into the crowd, she could see no one. The place was empty, surely she was showing the expression on her face. Suddenly, a clap was heard. Following the sound, she could only make out a dark figure. The darkness was starting to fade into a brighter, much needed light. It was him. Loki. He sat, dark coat, scarf spilling out, taking a swig from his large cup.