TWO

"Do you have your passport ready? Did you pack napkins? Have you-" I shush mom, waving my hand dismissively at her.

I shove the last human anatomy book in my duffle before zipping it shut.

"Mom, I have everything packed and ready. Nothing to worry about and yeah, I have my napkins checked too." I sing song, grinning playfully at mom who stands by the doorway. Her hands are planted on her hips, a playful scowl on her face.

"I'm just checking..." She mutters out, walking away from my room.

I chuckle, gathering my bags on my shoulder and arms as I follow her out the room - down the stairs.

I glance at mom who waits for me to descend the stairs, offering her hand to grab one of my bags. I shake my head, simply dropping it aside the moment I step on the bottom floor.

"I'll hail myself a cab, mom. Don't worry, I'm a big girl." I chuckle, pulling her into an embrace.

She immediately hugs me in return, patting my back comfortingly.

"I know, Reagan. You can't really blame your mother now, can you? Everything's going to be.. different when you aren't around." Whispers mom into my ear before pulling away from the hug, her slender hands cupping both my cheeks.

   "I know you'll do great there, honey. You're very very smart. Oh right, I almost forgot to tell you. Debra told me that she will send a chauffeur to come and get you. "

My eyes widen with delight and surprise before nodding with a smile. "I'll thank her a million times when I get there. Welp, my flight's in four hours and I'll never know the mercy of traffic, so gotta go."

Mom purses her lips before nodding understandingly. She quickly bends down to hook on the purple duffle on her shoulder.

"Well, I already got you a cab since ten minutes ago. It's been waiting outside since then." Says she as she makes her way out of the front door.

I sigh through my nose, grabbing the remaining luggage , dragging it across the ground and jogging out of the house. I see mom conversing with the cab driver, a stout man with a round belly who seems to be very warm and friendly. A coffee-colored beret sits on the top of his head, evident gray hairs peeking out from beneath it.

I smile as I make my way towards them, dropping the rest of the bags in the open compartment.

"Thank you for being here to bring my daughter, Jim." My mom's eyes crinkle in joy as she smiles, giving a soft hug to Jim.

Jim returns it, patting on her back softly before pulling away - facing me with a happy grin on his face. "Let's get going then, Reagan."

I hug my mom one last time before sliding in the car, watching my mom's figure shrink as Jim drives away.

"So I've heard of your great achievement, Reagan." Starts Jim, glancing at me in the rear-view mirror. I nod my head slowly, smiling awkwardly.

"It wasn't easy getting in." I sort of answer, unsure of how to talk with Jim considering we weren't really close or anything.

To me, he's the friendly next door neighbor who simply owns a cab.

"I pray for the success of your dreams, Reagan. It's not common to have someone as pure-hearted as you to want to become a doctor for the poor." I nod slowly again.

Okay, this is weird.

Mom practically tells him everything and he probably knows me more than I know him.