Chapter 2: Amidst The Rain

No matter how hard I try, it always finds it's way back into my system. The pain, the darkness, it feels like I'm being pulled into the darkest depths of the ocean once more. The feeling of being powerless against something bigger than my fears still haunts me this day.

"Mr. Ludwig Donovan! No running in the halls!" A familiar voice echoed through my ears.

My legs won't stop moving no matter how hard I tried.

"Mr. Donovan! Didn't you heard a word I've just said?!" The voice gradually fades away every time I took another step forward. "I demand you to stop at this instant or else, I'll have you sent to the detention!"

I want to stop running, I want to fall down to the ground and succumb to the darkness that is slowly eating me up inside, but I kept running instead, trying to escape something that I'll never be able to run away from.

I kept running and running until my legs grew weary. Eventually, I've reached an unfamiliar place, it's not that much spacious, but the only thing I see is an endless flights of stairs.

My head feels like it's about to split in half, every time I take a breath, the pain only gets worse. With my strength and energy depleted, I can feel myself starting to wither away.

Somebody! Help me please!

That is when I heard it, covered by the gentle pitter-patter of the rain, a faint sound, emanating through the small gap of the metal doors far away above me. Like a miracle, I began to regain strength once more! I can feel the energy coursing through my veins,

I feel so euphoric, that I was able to climb up the endless flight of stairs like a piece of a cake. Whatever or whoever is that's making that music, it saved me. It was about four steps remaining when suddenly,

It stopped.

The music which saved me from despair, has disappeared. And the instant that the music died out, thousands of ghastly hands began to pull me back into the void once more.

I can't give up now! Come on! It's so close, so near! All I have to do, is reach for it!

With the all the strength I have left, I forcefully pulled myself up the stairs through the cold steel railings. I gave my all in each step that I take, because that's the only thing I'll be able to do to reach that door.

I somehow managed to reach the top. Stopping for a moment, I took a deep breath, and pushed the heavy iron doors open.

It is raining. And for some reason, tears began to roll down my face.

My tears, my sweat and the rain, all joined as one as they fall down into the ground, and I look at her, the one who saved me from despair; the source of that beautiful sound, standing barefoot under the cold embrace of the rain, her tears falling down her eyes as she looked at me with longing gaze.

Two strangers, crying under the rain for no reason.

Before I could even say a word to her, a harmonica came flying towards me, travelling at the speed of light, luckily, it missed, who knows what might happen if that thing hit me?

"What are you looking at?! You stupid perverted man-dog!" She screamed, her voice piercing it's way inside my head.

"P-P-Perverted?! Man-dog?!"

"Stay away from me you disgusting human!" She exclaimed while covering herself up with her bag.

Now she's really starting to piss me off.

"How dare you! Take it back!" I shouted back. "Take back, everything that you've just said!"

"HELP MEEEE!" She screamed in an ear-screeching voice. "I'M BEING RAAAPED! HE-"