• 1 • Negative •

Amy's POV

Negative. The word rings through my head like a church bell, negative. We're not even trying, yet that word breaks my heart and every time I see it brings tears streaming down my cheeks. I wrap the white stick up in some toilet roll before leaving the apartment quickly to place it and it's box in the dumpster, not wanting any chance of Jake seeing it.

When I get back inside I wipe away my mascara, which by this point has run down my cheeks, and splash my face with some cold water. I pour some spaghetti into a pan and begin to cook it, as my mind drifts between my ideal world if the test showed positive and reality.

We're not even trying.

Eventually Jake arrives home and I don't tell him about what happened earlier, but instead ask him about his day and put a smile on my face. The two of us sit on the couch together and watch Die Hard when my phone begins to ring.

I recognise the number instantly, as I've been ringing regularly recently, and hop off the couch, making my way to the bathroom being sure to lock the door behind me.

"Hello?" I ask down the phone.

"Evening, is this Miss Santiago I'm talking to?"

"Yes it is."

"This is Brooklyn Fertility Clinic, we have the results from your tests." She tells me and I hold my breath.

Jake's POV

I watch as Ames picks up her phone and quickly walks out of the room. At first I think nothing of it, assuming it might be her parents or one of her brothers, or possibly something to do with a case.

However after half an hour and she doesn't return I get curious and walk up to our bedroom. Curled up in bed, quilt pulled to her chin, Amy's fast asleep making me smile slightly.

How did I ever get so lucky?

Amy's POV

The next morning I wake up and without waking Jake, climb out of bed then walk into the living room. I practically collapse onto one of the chairs and let tears silently fall down my face, landing on my lap.

When I hear Jake walking through I wipe the tears from my face and dry my t-shirt from the tears. All it takes is one look at him, with his hair all messy, for a small smile to form on my face and I force it into a larger one.

"Morning Babe." He says coming over and placing a kiss on my head.

Whilst Jake makes breakfast, I flick through the mail into the two piles - urgent and non urgent - before dashing upstairs to get changed. When I come back down breakfast is on the table, leaving Jake a couple of minutes to get ready.

The two of us get into my car - as Jakes is at the garage for the second time this month - and head off to work. As we arrive we're informed of the morning briefing being cancelled and we sit at our desks to begin paper work.

In the early afternoon, a woman comes in with her partner and their newborn baby as witnesses for Jakes' latest case and the sight of them distracts me from my work and puts an ache in my heart. Then watching Jake as he fusses over the newborn and pulls faces at the baby makes me crack . Trying to be discrete, I get up from my desk and quickly leave towards the ladies bathroom.

I hope no one noticed me and lock one of the stall doors behind me, sitting on the lid of the toilet with my head in my hands. However luck clearly isn't on my side and someone soon follows me into the bathroom.

"Amy?" Rosa asks.

At first I don't reply but instead sniff quietly, Rosa walks up to my stall and places three knocks on the door, gentle compared to usual.