Chapter Ten

Mac 👆🏼

Mac 👆🏼

Unspeakable Things

Chapter Ten

Lina

"Damn,  if only I was in that gym class," Lacey sighed after we told her what had happened. "Actually, no. That would be bad because if I was I would be suspended right now."

I believed it. Lacey was fiercely loyal and protective of the people she loved. If she was there with us, Archer and his friend would not have walked away unscathed.

"Are you guys okay though?" She asked softly.

I nodded my head once and took a bite of the turkey sandwich that I had brought from home. "I'm fine. I was just shocked. Like it came out of nowhere." 

"What about you, Jem? Are you doing alright?" Lacey's voice was silky as she prodded the quiet Jemma.

I looked over to Jemma who was seated on my right. She had not spoken since we sat down at the lunch table.  One of her legs was bent at the knee and tucked under her chin with her arm wrapped around it. Her glazed over eyes were staring at the table. She looked like she could burst into tears at any moment.

I reached over and gently touched  her hand that was splayed on the table. She snapped out of her daze and looked at Lacey and me like we had just shown up.

"What?" She asked.

Lacey repeated her question, and Jemma looked back at the table in response.

"I thought he liked me," She whispered after a beat.

My heart broke for her in that moment. I knew exactly how she was feeling.

"I just really wanted him to like me." She continued. " I did everything right. I went to his stupid games and his stupid parties." She was crying now. "I slept with him."

A gasp escaped me, and I looked at Lacey, silently asking with my eyes if she knew. She shook her head quickly before focusing back on Jemma's tear stained face.

"Do you want some water, honey?"

Jemma nodded and I started to stand to go get her water when a deep voice interrupted with a question.

"Woah, are you okay? It's that time of the month, isn't it?"

The three of us twisted our heads in that direction only to find that it was Jordan who had spoken. Isaac, Riley, Jordan, and New Girl Mac all stood there with their hands full of food.

The four of them stared at us for a long second, gauging our reactions before moving to fill in the empty spots at the table.

I spared a glance at my friends and found them both with wide eyes and unhinged jaws. As the boys sat down, an unwelcome sense of familiarity crept up on me. But, I wasn't focused on the boys. I honed in on Mac. Even though I now knew that her and Isaac had nothing going on, it still bugged me that she thought she could sit here. That any of them thought they could sit here. I wasn't good with change. It was hard enough to adjust to life without Jordan, Riley and Isaac, and to now have them sitting at my table with their new little friend was too much.