The Right to Worry

(This song has no connection to the chapter whatsoever. It's just a bop, in my opinion.)

Tungmei waited. Her breathing was heavy and her eyes were wide. She stood as straight as she could, her back pressed up against the cold brick wall. Beads of sweat covered her forehead and her heart was pounding. 

She had seen movement outside from her window, near the building. That's how she ended up hiding around the corner, examining her surroundings. She clutched her chain, her eyes surveying the area as the green glow continued to shine in the corner of her eye. 

'I'm probably gonna die like this,' Tungmei thought. 

It wasn't dark out. The sky was azure, pink clouds striping the sky. The palm trees gently swayed in the wind, the sound of leaves rustling filling Tungmei's ears. She wanted to stop and admire the scene, but she knew she could end up dead in a mere second. It wasn't worth the risk. 

Tungmei swiftly moved away from the shadows, now walking on the sidewalk. She stayed close to the wall, but she tried to seem normal as her eyes scanned the empty street. 

She was starting to feel a little calm when she embraced the peaceful sounds of the leaves . . . until she saw the rock. 

She watched as a rock went soaring through the air, seemingly from across the street, and go right through one of her building's windows. The sound of shattered glass filled her ears, bringing the panic back. 

"What the fuck?" Tungmei's eyes darted across the street, looking for the culprit. She was about to run across the street before she stopped herself. She knew someone would check on the window; someone had to have heard it. 

She quickly formed a plan in her head. "Disarius," she mumbled. Tungmei became invisible, much to her avail. She sprinted across the street and stopped in front of one of the palm trees, hiding behind its thin trunk. 

"Oh shit," she muttered. She knew that the rock had hit one of the windows, but she didn't expect it to be Fangsu's. Tungmei watched Fangsu gaze outside from her window, scanning the area. She was surprisingly calm for someone who just had a rock get thrown through their window, which made Tungmei want to laugh. 

Fangsu sighed, a piece of broken glass in her palm. She looked at the shards of glass on her windowsill and closed her eyes. Tungmei knew exactly what she was thinking. 

As soon as Fangsu opened her eyes, she muttered a spell. "Restituo," Tungmei muttered to herself, just as she watched Fangsu lips say the word. She snapped her fingers, and the window was back to new. You'd never think that a rock had flown right through it mere minutes before. 

She disappeared from the window, her curtains cutting off Tungmei's view. Tungmei sighed, coming out from hiding. She looked around, seeing nothing but a peaceful street, buildings, and palm trees. 

Tungmei decided it was clear. 

She muttered a quick spell, watching her hands, arms, and feet become visible again. Tungmei had forgotten all about the glowing green chain around her neck.

A hand on her shoulder reminded her.