Chapter 27 - Victory and Defeat

The alcohol was burning in his throat and yet could not cover the aroma of Celandine and Ranogrin, which spread in Eskels pharynx. Seconds later he felt the active ingredients pouring through his body. Minutes earlier, he had already taken the potion Swallow to prepare for the upcoming fight. Now that his body had to process two potions, the side effects of alchemical ingredients were all the stronger.

His veins came clearly visible under the skin as his blood accumulated with the drugs. He felt his senses sharpen, his muscles tense for a moment.

He glanced over at Geralt, who was crouching in the bushes a few yards away and was about to pick out the appropriate flasks from his pocket. Eskel held out the bottle of Oriole to him. "Sure you don't want to take a few sips of mine? Alchemy has never been your strong suit, Geralt ..."

The white-haired witcher gave his brother a mocking look. "The fact that you were Master Yaris' prized student in brewing does not mean I didn't learn in the course of decades, my friend. Thanks, but I trust my own potions."

"If you say so." Eskel corked the bottle again. His gaze wandered to the prison island, which was hard to spot in the fog that came from the Pontar. Geralt watched as Eskel twisted the cork in the bottleneck between his fingers - first in one direction, then the other. A sign that he didn't feel the peace he was trying to show. At all.

Geralt pulled the bottles out of his pocket, took several gulps of Swallow, then the Oriole and, like Eskel, waited for the onset reaction of his body. When his metabolism had processed the substances, he got up and went to Yennefer, who stood together with Shani in the middle of the tree group on the shore.

"Eskel and I are on our way now. The fog you created should cover us long enough. Will you please keep that for me?" He handed Yennefer his silver sword. For a moment, she looked confused, then realized that a strange blade was attached to Geralt's back next to his steel sword. "I got a sword for Lambert," he explained." Certainly not as good as his old one, but better than nothing."

"How noble of you. It's hopefully more stable than this ornate quillons would suggest." Yennefer gave the sword's ornament a raised brow.

"Was the best the blacksmith had to offer here. Lambert will buff it out, no matter what blade I give him." Geralt looked at Yennefer, almost as if he wanted to memorize her sight once more. Then he leaned over to her, put a hand on her neck and kissed her. Yennefer snuggled up to him, returning his kiss. Geralt inhaled her scent of lilac and gooseberry, then opened his eyes again.

"Come back safely." Her voice was little more than a whisper.

"Haven't got any other plans." He broke away from her, nodding briefly to Shani. "Shani. We thank you for your help. For everything. You should better go now before it gets uncomfortable here."

"Do you really think I would leave without knowing if you all got out of prison safely? I'll stay, Geralt. If something goes wrong, you might need my help."

Geralt nodded slowly. "Alright, Shani. Let's hope it won't be necessary." He turned to Eskel. "Ready?"