Guilt

Mel put a grey tank top on in the bathroom, safe behind a locked door, and took her suppressants and scent-blockers before she could forget - not that she would forget to wear more than a bra with that demon around. She quietly berated herself as she put her hair in a bun, intending to clean the chalk off the floor.

What had she been thinking? She didn't want to sell her soul, but now it and her body belonged to a powerful, supernatural force from the Netherrealm whose identity remained a mystery. In a tense moment, she had let that creature bewitch her and now she felt lost. Every time the five-foot girl fantasized about being tethered to someone - and it was pure fantasy - she imagined they'd go on a few, or numerous, dates together and then, after a few years, then they could claim each other. Of course, she always imagined being with another human...

Well, that was a lie, and she should be candid with herself, if no one else. Her mind was chock-full of debauchery. Still, there was a thick line between fantasy and reality she never expected to cross.

She had to be fair to herself on one point: there was no way she could have known the occult was anything more than pure creativity. It wasn't like any of the world's religions, as far as she was educated, provided any sort of indisputable evidence for their claims. There weren't any gods coming down and doing what they said they'd do. As superstitious as people could be, God wasn't saving all His faithful from murder, rape, or starvation.

Oh, boy! She knew better now. The most popular religion's God may not be there for His creations, but there was a lot more out there than she thought.

Feckin' Laura and her feckin' tempting her with the goddamn occult. How could she have resisted the opportunity to mess around with something like that? The book lay on her wobbly kitchen table, which she last saw the demon sitting at thanks to her friend, but also thanks to her.

The world was screwed up. She'd already known that, but she hadn't expected an equally, if not more so, fucked up reality outside it.

Really, how could they have known?

As she walked through her half-living room, half-bedroom, her eyes caught the yellow of her phone case on the floor next to her bed and her conscience nagged her. Laura had probably been texting all morning.

12:00 a.m. I locked your door on the way out, just so you know. You really scared us back there. I'm sorry for pushing you. You should have told me you were too tired for my shit.

6:25 a.m. You ok, Mel? Need to see a doc?

7:46 a.m. Mel? Seriously, I have work in 14 minutes. I can take you if you answer quick.

8:00 a.m. Melinda answer me

9:00 a.m. Linda, come on. I'm at work right now. Don't make me send Carl.

9:30 a.m. Bitch, answer me.

Mel sighed. She should have checked her phone sooner, but... She glanced through the doorway to the kitchen at the six-fingered giant sitting with her laptop opened in front of him. Apparently, he hadn't been successfully summoned since the 1800s, and his curious nature would probably make him content to sit for a while. She checked the time and hoped Laura hadn't sent her boyfriend.

10:00 a.m. Just got up. Slept well. Thanks for tucking me in. :)

Acting normal came easier than she expected, but then again, it was a simple text, not a face-to-face conversation.

Just as she was about to reassure Carl there was a knock at the door. She glanced again at Ba'al. He stood on his hind legs in the chair, front paws on the table as he continued to read. Relieved, she checked the peephole and saw Carl in front of the door looking anxious. Mint and rosemary graced her nose as she invited him in.