Chapter 2

I use the map and compass to navigate my way to the river. The walk is uninterrupted and almost peaceful, but I am always looking over my shoulder and my brain is on high alert. During the walk, I realize at least three times I'm going the wrong way, my mind is confused and disoriented, causing me to lose where I am. The two miles feels like nothing because I am so distracted by my surroundings. The sound of running water catches my attention and I almost sprint to the river.

Arriving at the river, the first thing I do is dump my backpack on the edge and fill up the bottle. I drink it quickly before stopping myself so I don't get sick. After refilling it, I splash water on my face and catch a glimpse of myself in the clear water. My brown hair was pulled into a braid when I woke up, I spot the few baby hairs poking out and loose strands hang down beside my face. My blue eyes stand out against the water and my tanned skin.

I sit  down on the bank to organize my thoughts. The notebook said I must find the other number to unlock the black box, is it a puzzle? Have I been dumped on a mountain to solve a couple of riddles? I pull out the notebook and the map, the two objects that I now hold closest to me. I reread the numbers multiple time and examine the map, hoping for some sort of pattern.

The right key will be found with the other number.

The numbers are people.

Oh god, I realize. To open the box we have to find each other.

I look at the list of numbers again, they are written in pairs. The other number is the person I have to find to get the key to my box. But what if I don't? What if I just hike up the mountain on my own without solving riddles?

Before I can dwell on it further, a low rumble drags me from my thoughts. I was so focused that I didn't pay attention to my surroundings. I look up to see the source of the rumble across the river. No, not a rumble. A growl.

A large grizzly bear stands in front of me. My eyes lock with it and it's lips curl up to allow a roar passed. My breath stops and so does time. It falls back down onto all four legs and takes a step forward.

Can I outrun a grizzly bear? Everything part of me says no, but I better try something.

As it moves forward and gains speed, I scramble up. I shove everything in my pack and run the other way as fast as I can. I'm pretty sure the last thing you're supposed to do in a bear encounter is run, but my adrenaline and fear won't let me stop. I hear it splash into the water for a few moments until it reaches my side of the water. As I run, I feel the metal of the gun in my pocket press into me, squeezed between my body and the backpack. Trying not to slow down, I grab the gun and click the safety off. I send a quick prayer to whoever is listening and turn to point my gun at the bear. I run in a different direction so I'm not shooting directly behind me.

I take a deep breath, well I try to at least, before taking aim. It's hard since I'm running and the bear is running after me, but I have to hurry because it is quickly gaining on me. I start to count to three but pull the trigger sooner, my pursuer is only twenty feet away.

The sound of three gunshots interrupts the peacefulness of the mountains, birds scatter and it feels like everything goes still as the bear falls. Two of the bullets missed the animal completely, but the third is lodged inside the bears head. How did I do that? Hitting a bear in the head while both of us were running is probably not among normal abilities. I stare at the bear for a few minutes, it's head has a few inch wide hole filled with blood. Dropping the gun, I back away as my mind screams. I killed it, I killed it, I killed it.

Survival, this is survival. This game or whatever it is tests my determination to survive another day. I will get it, though. I have to accept what I've done and what I will do, even if I don't want to do it. I will find out why I've been put here, maybe it'll all be worth it in the end. I look at the dead bear one more time. Then, I grab the gun off the ground and walk to a nearby boulder to figure out who it is that I must find to open the damned box.

.   .   .

I make camp near the river that night. On the opposite side from the bear. Using the backpack at a very uncomfortable pillow, I stare at the stars and try to make sense of the days events, but I know I probably never will. Being dropped on a mountain isn't something that will make a lot of sense anytime soon, but then again nothing else will either. The numbers, riddle, box, and bear... they will only make sense if I make it to the end, whenever that may be. Although it's hard to, I have to accept my circumstances and go with it so I don't spiral every time I make a move.

I've looked over the number pairings and found that I have to find number five to open my box. The numbers are paired 1 6, 2 8, 3 5, 4 10, 7 9, making 3 and 5 together. I have to head east tomorrow to find the fifth section and hope to meet up with them.

The list of supplies flashes through my mind and I sit up to grab the bag. Digging around, I find the two way radio and curse myself for not noticing it before. Then I push the button to talk.

"Hello?" I start, unsure. "My name is Adylin, I'm number three. Is anyone there?"

I wait a few moments but don't hear anything, I double check to make sure everything is on and working. "Repeat: my name is Adylin and I'm number three. I'm looking for number five, even if you aren't number five I would really like some human contact right about now."

A few more moments go by and I set down the radio, defeated. Maybe the radios don't work in the mountains. I'll have to find number five on my own.

That's when I hear the soft click and crackle coming from the radio. "My name is James, I'm number five," a male voice responds. "If you are still listening, Adylin, think I know what you're looking for."