Chapter 15

I map out a route we can take for the day, it strays away from the safety of the river but it will take a shorter route to the top. Out of curiosity, I map a few days ahead and notice that if we have no interruptions and move quickly, we can reach the peak in three days. But we all know that won't happen. The race will have more tests for us, and only the strongest can pass. The dark side of my mind wonders if all three of us will make it out alive. It doesn't matter, I will do everything I can to make sure we pass the finish line.

The conversation with James last night still lingers in my mind. My arm is bruised just above my elbow, the bruises outlining where his hand was. They are a constant reminder of who he could be, but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was tired and frustrated, all of us were. He's apologized since then and we have made peace.

Johnathan is who I'm still wary about. James' warnings about him are constant and he is still grieving. He didn't have the talk James and I had, we don't know how he stands on some things. I know James is right, he is my partner so I should be working with him more, but the race directors landed Johnathan and I in the same spot, it had to be for a reason. I'm not going to choose between them. To choose which one to work with and keep safe is a sure path to loss. We all have to work together evenly, we have rely on each other for everything.

I look up at the boys who have stayed silent all during breakfast while I've worked on the map. "So, um, we all know the race directors or whoever is gonna give us more tests, right? Well, if we didn't have any more interruptions, we could get to the peak in three days."

Johnathans eyes go wide. "Three days? That's pretty soon. Even if we do have tasks, we can get there within a week."

James nods, shocking me. I didn't think he would ever agree with something Johnathan would say. I smile at him. "We just have to keep going. If we work together and try not to fight, we can make it," he says, turning to Johnathan. "I extend the olive branch. Peace until we make it to the end?"

Johnathan nods and the shake hands, causing me to roll my eyes. "Now that our peace offering is over, can we get going?"

They nod and help me pack up our campsite. The clouds thicken overhead and I feel three drops of rain, warning me of a rough day ahead. The mood of our little group contradicts the weather, we talk and joke with each other, coming to know one another pretty well. James is friendly to Johnathan and vice versa, taking me surprise. I lead our trio through a tough walk, the incline of the mountain is getting steeper and will only get worse as time goes on. The ground becomes rockier, signaling our ascent to the top. The air grows cooler and soon our breath comes out in little, white puffs.

A few hours after we've stopped for a midday break, a brown sign interrupts our path. We all groan, we don't need to read it to know it's gonna be a test. I muster up all the courage I have and march up to it, despite my entire being wanting to run straight past it.

No more partners/groups past this point. You will be alone for the rest of the race.

My mind whirls. "No," I whisper as the boys come up behind me.

James pales and Johnathans jaw drops. "Why would they put us together just to take us apart?" Johnathan asks.

"To take away our hope," James mutters. "They knew we could only get through this sanely with other people. This is how they weed out the weak ones."

I remember the feeling I had at the beginning of the race. Being alone and scared. Now, I must only rely on myself to survive the rest of the race.

"I guess this is goodbye then. Until we get back to the top," Johnathan says. "How should we do this?"

I think for a moment. "Well, I've already mapped out a route. It's the safest and easiest one I could do. We should all use it, but leave at different times."

They nod in agreement. "Who first?" James asks.

"I'll go first," Johnathan shrugs.

"Then James, then me," I add. "You should go now, then we can stagger."

He nods and takes a breath. "Good luck, see you soon. Then maybe we will understand what's going on."

Without another word, he turns and sets off. We all have the route memorized from staring at the map for so long earlier, so he'll have no trouble.

"We should just chill out for a couple hours, then I'll follow," James says.

I agree and set my bag down next to the sign. I watch Johnathan disappear, feeling my safety and hope being ripped away from me.

.   .   .

I blink awake, the silence becoming too eerie to try sleeping anymore. I miss the usual conversations or just the normal noises we made as a group. The secludedness pushes me from my spot and has me getting ready for the new day, the new challenge. Johnathan left yesterday, then James took off last night, now it's my turn to keep going.

I pack up my bag and eat an apple as I walk. I'll take a quick stop at the river before going because of the grueling hike I have ahead of me. My feet and legs are sore from yesterday and I wonder if I could add an extra day to my plan just to move slower.

I reach the river quickly, filling up my bottle and washing my face with the cool stream. As I splash my face, my world starts to spin. I stand and try to regain balance as everything sways from side to side.

What the hell? I think to myself as I fall and everything goes black.