Chapter 17

I thought for a plan. There were four kids at our group of desks. The girl and I on one side, the boy who double dog dared me sat on the other side with another kid with a reputation for crying a little too loud. I thought up a plan quickly in my head and wiggled my eyebrows at the dark-skinned boy. Before thinking too hard about it, I dropped my pencil on the floor and kicked out with my leg to kick the kid in the shin.

The kid jumped in his seat and his head snapped to me. His eyebrows shot up from behind his thick black frames when he noticed the kick was on purpose. A millisecond later, his chin was quivering and a whine escaped his throat.

The teacher looked back at us from the front of the room and sighed; this wasn't the first time the kid has interrupted her lessons. She walked over to us slowly, each click of her heels on the tile floor echoed the room.

"What happened, James?" The teacher asked.

"She-" he started between cries- "she kicked me! On purpose!"

The teacher looked up at me with disapproval and I stared at her guiltily. "I didn't mean to! I was just trying to grab my pencil! It was an accident!" I pointed to the object lying on the ground.

She nodded at me and turned her attention back to James. I waited as she cooed at him and coddled him, what a baby he is. Finally, the moment of truth. She ducks underneath the desk to examine the "bruise" he insisted I made on his leg. With her head underneath the table, I slipped out of my chair and ran to the back of the classroom where a door outside waited. I grinned at the other two at my table and pushed the door open. Then I bolted.

Run run run run run, I told myself.

My little legs carried me quickly through the distance between the school and the gates. I heard shouting behind me which pushed me to go faster. The teacher had realized my little distraction and was NOT happy about it.

"Adylin!" She called. "Adylin Hill!" As if use of my last name would stop me from reaching freedom. 

I spotted a small space I could fit through in the fence and headed straight for it. I only lifted my eyes from the spot to check for the guards who patrolled the gates. Fortunately for me, none were present.

I felt my lips twist into a grin as I slipped through the space. I was free. This was it: the farthest I'd gone. I didn't have time for a celebration, that would be later when I marched through the school halls with another story of escape. My eyes found the direction of the market and I headed straight there, eager to see the people.

It was probably a weird sight to see, a small girl in her school uniform (a pleated skirt, white, short sleeved blouse, tall socks, and black flats) racing through the streets to the market. I didn't care about the stares of strangers, I had other goals.

I slowed as the crowds became thicker and moved with the flow of people. My eyes roamed different stands, searching for treasures. Luckily, my skirt had deep pockets, so I had a lot of room to work with. I picked an apple from a stand without stopping; the vendor had turned his back and I was too small to see. I grabbed a pair of small black gloves from another booth; I would need them for the coming winter.

A small, colorful booth caught my eye, drawing me towards it. I find an older woman running it and she smiles down at me when I come close. My eyes wander the scarves, beaded jewelry, woven baskets, rugs, and hats. The woman follows my gaze and then her eyes fall to my uniform. "I have a small feeling that you don't have money on you, wild one, but I can tell you have a nice treat there in your pocket. Came running from school, eh?"

I nod, trying my best to keep down my triumphant smile but failing miserably. She laughs and looks around at her beautiful creations. She snatches a small woven bracelet from a stand and holds it out to me. I take it and set it in my palm to examine the intricate patterns. It is thin and black with glittering silver lines weaving through each other. The lady shows me how to tie it onto my wrist and I smile at her gratefully, fishing the apple out of my pocket and holding it to her for payment. She smiled and took it, nodding for me to run along.

Before I could go very far, a hand grabbed the back of my blouse. I was spun around to see one of the guards standing behind me, much to my delight he was panting. "You're in some trouble, missy," he said.

I stuck my lower lip out and my chin shook. "I-I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to, I just was frightened by James. I didn't mean to run."

The guards features softened, I always had that effect on people. Then he saw beneath my act and his hand tightened on my blouse. "You are in serious trouble."

That's how I ended up in the nice lady's office. I considered going outside and talking to her, but I was probably in enough trouble as it was. I didn't mind it though. Running off always brought fun stories to tell classmates and rumors spread quickly about me. Kids admired my courage and my willingness to do anything. It made me a legend around here. But that wasn't why I ran.

The door to the office opened. I looked up to see my dad with a disappointed look on his face. He gestured for me to follow and I hopped off of the chair and obeyed. After a quick apology and farewell, we walked out of the school and down the street. Once we were far enough away from the school, my dad turned to me.

"How far did you get this time?" He asks, a smirk pulling at his lips.

He beamed up at him. "The market. I got these-" I held up the gloves- "and this." I showed him my wrist which now held the bracelet.

He admired my new possession. "The gloves will be good for the winter," he says.

"That's what I thought," I told him.

We walked in silence the rest of the way home. The sky started spitting on us, forcing us to jog the rest of the way home. My dad looked down at me and smiled proudly as I kept pace with his long legs.

I come back to reality with a gasp. I find myself still walking despite the longest and strongest flashback I've ever had. I have to sit down and take a moment to recollect myself before moving again. My mind is running a million miles per hour because of the flashback and the attack earlier. 

But I keep walking through the night, not stopping as I climb the treacherous terrain.