Rough Start

"Cammm, I can't believe it's already the first day of school. The holidays went by so fast." Rain greets Cam as she sits next to her on the school bench.

"Yeah, it went by too fast. How was your holiday?" Cam replies

"It was good,  my family and I went on a trip to the Taiwan. Other than that, I went to this theme park which was pretty cool, and just hung out with some people. How about you?"

"Well you know I was in Europe for the whole holiday, got to see a lot of family and just chilled."

"Thats cool. Hey, I wonder what are classes are gonna be like. I really hope they will be good."

"Yeah I hope so too."

Cam and Rain continue to talk about their summer holidays. They also talk about the new classes they will be having. Suddenly, Rain interrupts Cam as she sees a girl looking their way. Her hair was black as coal, and she stood out from the other girls as she had a shaven head. Her hair was only about an inch long and she wore multiple bracelets on her wrist.

"Wait look over there, do you see her?" Rain says with her eyebrows raised.

"See who?"

"Over there, it's Marie. Don't you remember her?"

"Wait wher- Oh I see her now, yeah I remember her. Didn't she-"

"Shhhh. Wait she's walking our way. I think she's coming over to talk to us."

Cam and Rain watch Marie as she takes long strides walking towards them. Marie holds a volleyball in her hand and bounces it on the ground while looking quite anxious.

"Hey guys, how are you?" Marie says. 

"Hi Marie, we're good, how bout you?" Rain responds.

"I'm doing good. Hey, so I was just wondering if you've seen Roy around? I texted her but she doesn't respond. I just really need to talk to her."

Cam and Rain both look at each other with a confused facial expression. 

"Didn't you hear? Roy moved to New York for good. She won't be back until a few months just to visit." Cam says

Marie frowns and is silent for a few seconds. 

"I didn't know that, she didn't tell me. Why didn't she tell me, I mean I'm her friend too and-" Marie stutters. She doesn't finish her sentence and tears have welled up in her eyes. 

"Okay thanks guys, see ya." Marie says. 

"Marie, wait." Cam says

Marie has walked a few steps, but turns around when she hears Cam. She slowly walks back to Cam and Rain. She waits for Cam to speak.

"Here lemme give you her new number. She probably hasn't replied because she changed her number. Here-"

Marie looks even more sad after hearing what Cam had to say, but she decides to write down Roy's new number anyways. Marie walks off quickly and enters the bathroom.

The last school year, Marie and Roy became quite close with each other. Some would say they were closer than just friends. But they were all just rumours, they never made anything official. No one knew the truth about them two, not even Taye, Cam, or Rain.

"That was weird, and she looked like she was about to cry." Rain says.

"Yeah, there was always something up between the both of them. I wonder why Roy didn't tell her she was leaving."

"Riiiiing" The school bell interrupts their conversation and they both say good bye to head off to their classes.

As Rain goes to her locker to put her books in, she sees Cam talking to Croquette. Everyone knew Croquette was the richest person in their year. She always had the new season Gucci bags, and was always driven around by a personal driver in a lamborghini. They were at the other end of the corridor from where Rain was, but Rain could still hear Cam's loud laugh. Rain has noticed that Cam was getting closer to Croquette, it didn't bother her too much as it didn't affect their friendship. But she couldn't help but wonder why Cam never introduced her to Croquette. Rain has her head turned towards her locker, but she can hear Croquette's and Cam's voice getting louder. Cam and Croquette walk past Rain without even noticing her.

"Oh my gosh Cam, last week was sooo fun. I bought wayyy too many clothes and bought so many pairs of designer shoes." Croquette says.

"I know right, I'm literally broke now." Cam says

"Its fine, I'll buy you some clothes as a gift." Croquette says.

"But it's not even my birthday."

"Who cares? I can spoil my best friend with whatever I want."

"Hahaha thank you soo much, you're the best. Hey, we should have another sleepover!"

"Oh yeah, like the ones we had two weeks ago, that was soo fun."

Cam and Croquette walk off leaving Rain confused. Cam told Rain that she came back to Hong Kong the day before school. But she heard them talking about how they had a sleepover two weeks ago. Cam lied to Rain, and Rain couldn't help becoming frustrated and confused. Cam was hiding something from Rain.