chapter 1: another spring

❝ STRANGE, PERHAPS YOU AND I ARE RATHER SIMILAR ❞

Finding the right words is not easy.

That was why I chose to express myself through pictures. When I held my pen and started drawing, it became a lot easier to make sense out of everything. The problem was that when it came to pictures, every person could look at it and see something different.

This doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me at all.

This is okay. Being alone is nothing. I might be alone, but I am not lonely.

'' Stop looking at the horizon with a dramatic expression on your face. You are not scaling a mountain, fighting a dangerous beast or anything like that. You're just going to school. Got it? Just school. It's not like you are the only teenager in this world that hates school, so knock it out, will you? That means, no more jumping in to the school pool either. I don't care if you were getting chased by a bee. I still don't understand why you even did that when you can't swim. ''

I stopped staring off in to distance and screamed in protest: '' That bee could've been poisonous! ''

'' No, it couldn't have been poisonous. You know why? Because it was just a bee. ''

'' Who knows where it's been before it targeted me! '' I crossed my arms on my chest and pouted, but Byun Baekhyun's cold and stern exterior didn't crack. He even tightened his grip on my ear and made me wince in pain before I quickened my step to keep up with his fast pace of walking. My soaking wet school uniform was sticking to my skin, water was dripping from my bright red hair and I was leaving a trail of small puddles behind me, while he was dragging me down the busy school hallways.

Baehyun's face was deathly serious, but his eyes were shining with determination. He made it his personal mission to get me to school at least fifteen minutes early after his horrible fail from yesterday. At least that was how he called it, while I thought that it was an incredible victory how I managed to skip the only three lessons of my first day of school.

I watched Baekhyun's lips stretch in to a victorious grin when he shoved me in to my homeroom classroom and I took a few uneasy steps forward before I broke in to a sudden sprint. '' That was only a trick! Surprise escape! I let you drag me here on purpose so that you would get tired! I'd like to see you catch me now! ''

I was about to leap out of an opened window, but Baekhyun was faster. He grabbed the magnetic eraser from the whiteboard and threw it directly at the back of my head. I was knocked off my feet like a bowling pin and he raised his hands in the air in victory. '' Ha! You thought that you could trick me? Think again! Who's laughing now, ketchup hair?! ''

He instantly stopped grinning when he saw the confused looks of my classmates, blushed in embarrassment and started frantically waving his hands through the air. It was only our second day together, but I already recognised it as a habit of his. Strong emotions brought him out of his shell, but it always took very little to make him hide in it again. '' Don't look at me like that! I am not like her! She is the weirdo! I am just her babysitter! ''

I slowly sat up on the ground and stared at him with an emotionless expression on my face. Then I blinked, jumped on my feet and perfectly mimicked the way he waved with his hands through the air when he got self conscious. I ended my move by pointing at him, lowering my voice and seriously murmuring: '' That's right, you're my trusty sidekick! Go back home now! The Dark realms need a protector while the queen is gone! ''

Baekhyun was so embarrassed that his face turned in to an unnatural shade of green before he quickly backed out of the classroom. I laughed in amusement and waved after him before the teacher appeared at the doorway and caught my attention. At first I wasn't quite sure about Byun Baekhyun, the young college student that was supposed to watch over me, but it didn't take long before I changed my mind about him. In a way, he was very similar to a serious teacher back in Busan, that used to have the same job as him, but in another way, he was also completely different. He liked facts, reasonable thinking and doing nothing all day, but there was also another side of him that was hidden from the world.