Chapter 6: An angel falling

Yn's POV

I stared at Gazef, he seemed troubled as he stared out the window from the house we were currently in.

"They've surrounded the village completely, and it seems as if they are all magic casters. Do you have any idea who could be behind this?" I asked as I stared at him, and he seemed to lose himself in his thoughts for a moment before speaking "Only the Slane Theocracy could send out so many casters at once, and it seems that these are one of the special units directly under the head priest. It must be one of the six scriptures"

I nodded my head, it seems I'll need to look into the Slane Theocracy, but that was a matter for a different time. "Then that means the soldiers that attacked the village from earlier were probably from the Theocracy, correct?"

He nodded his head "Dressed in imperial armor to throw us off, without a doubt, they belong to the Slane Theocracy"

I tilted my head slightly "Is there any particular reason they would be attacking this village? Does it hold some significant value? When I looked at the map it doesn't seem to be valuable as a foothold in Re-Estize, and from what I can gather it doesn't seem to have any special qualities like rare ores or fruits"

Gazef's gaze seemed to sharpen "No, this village isn't anything special, and it was as you said, it has no real valuable resources. But if you are questioning why they are attacking, then it seems that they aren't after you, which would mean..."

It took me a second, but I realized their objective "It would seem you're unpopular with the Slane Theocracy. What did you do, sleep with the head priests wife?" I joked with a small smile under my mask. For some reason, I felt as if I could relax around this man, and it was nice since everyone in the Tomb would be giving me nothing but respect and be serious all the time.

Gazef chuckled to himself "No, nothing like that. Though I doubt the wrinkly old man that's the head priest even has a wife" he threw back at me, and I chuckled as well. "But I guess its good to know that my deeds and reputation have made the theocracy nervous"

"Indeed" I looked out the window at the floating creature that was by the sides of the magic casters.

Those are definitely Archangel Flames from Yggdrasil. It appears some monsters and summons are the same in this world

"Sir Yn" Gazef's voice brought me out of my thoughts "If you are in need of work, may I hire you? Just name your price" he offered, but I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, but I'll have to decline. I feel as if it is wrong to make such a request of you. But you have my word that I'll protect this village so long as those bastards are out there. I swear upon the name of Ainz Ooal Gown, that I will not let even one more villager die today"

He smiled and raised his hand, sticking it out for me to shake, and I did so gladly. "Thanks again, and please take care of yourself. This village owes you gratitude, and so do I" His smile was both gentle and strong "I wish you luck in your future adventures"

He started to turn towards the door after letting go of my hand "With you here I can focus on the task before me, I won't have to worry about the village" he stated as he reached for the handle of the door "Now, please watch what might be my final battle. I'll try to make sure that you won't have to fight any of them"

"Wait" I stopped him at the door with one word, and he turned to catch an item I tossed in the air with one hand. He stared at it with interest "What is this?" he asked, and I chuckled as I heard no disrespect in his voice.

"It's a charm that will help you in battle. When it comes time for you to take your final breath before a monster tries to strike you down, that will activate and allow you to live for another day. So long as you have that, you will not die in this upcoming battle" I explained, and he bowed gratefully